The 10 Do's And Don'ts Of The Ideal College Experience

There are things you SHOULD do, but also things you should NOT do.

30
pixabay

If you're a new student to college or just feel like you still need some tips for college, here are five definite things you SHOULD be doing in college and five things that you should definitely NOT be doing. At all. Ever.

DO: Take The Time to Study for Exams

At least for me, exams in high school were a piece of cake. I would basically just do the study guide, either by myself or with some friends, and then look over it the night before and then right before the tests to remember the answers. HOWEVER, in college, exams, quizzes, and tests are A LOT different. You can't just go in and wing it or not prepare, especially for mid terms and final exams. Take the time to study, either with some friends or even just alone in the library or your dorm. I'm telling you, taking an hour of the day to study for an exam is totally worth it.

DON'T: Not Study Ever

To reiterate my last point, STUDY FOR EVERYTHING. Even if it's just your Gen Ed classes that you may have already taken in high school, you still should study for them. Just an hour is really all it takes, but you can totally go more (actually it's encouraged).

DO: Your Homework

In high school, there was always the opportunity to copy off of someone or do the homework when you got to school the next day (or even right before the class started). In college, though, it's different. Not everyone will let you copy or even copy at all because you may not even talk to them. Always take some time the day before to do your homework, or if you have an hour or two before your next class, do the homework then! It really pays to get it out of the way so you're not in the library till midnight or later doing all the homework you have for that day (or even the next day).

DON'T: Bring Everything You Own

If you bring everything that you own/everything that you have in your room RIGHT NOW, you will have what I like to call room overflow. It's impossible to bring everything you have, especially if you're living in a dorm. Dorms are really tiny and it's going to be hard enough fitting every clothing item you have, let alone all the other amenities you own. Choose wisely when it comes to the things you drink. Bring only the essentials!

DO: Rent Textbooks

Renting textbooks is so easy to do. You can rent new or used books and their a lot cheaper. With rental books it's also a one time payment and you don't have to worry about trying to get rid of them when you're done or trying to sell them. Also with rental books, if their used, they may have previous notes in them, which is ALWAYS a plus when it comes to homework or studying. And when it comes to renting, rent through an off campus bookstore or a cheap online textbook sight. Just make sure it's the right edition/CRN!

DON'T: Buy Textbooks

Buying textbooks is just a hassle. When you buy them, their usually new or slightly used, which ups the price immensely. Also, after you're done with that class, you're stuck with that book until you find somebody to sell it to, and you know you'll have to sell it for less than you bought it for. Also if you have to buy the book, they may not have any notes in them or highlighting. The only reason to buy the book is if you have absolutely, 100% no choice at all.

DO: Join some Clubs

And if you don't want to join a club, at least join some kind of activity or volunteer group. It's always a great idea to get involved in some kind of organization on campus, especially if it has to do with your major. I guarantee that every college campus has some kind of college fair or activity/club fair, so check it out! If you don't decide to join a club, there's always the opportunity to get some free stuff from the booths! It's also a great gateway to make some friends and keep yourself active!

DON'T: Stay In Your Room

Especially all the time, almost 24/7. If you always go and hide out in your room after every class and just do homework, watch Netflix, and talk to no one except your roommate, you will not have a great college experience. Get out there, make some friend, and immerse yourself in the college experience! It doesn't do you justice to watch Netflix alone all the time, but if that's what you LOVE to do, ask someone to watch it with you, or invite some friends over to watch a movie! Making friends in college is a lot easier than making friends in high school.

DO: GO TO CLASS

Not only because you're spending hundred of dollars on that one class, but also because some professors include class participation as points for class and also include some of the extra things they say on tests. It really pays to go to class (seriously) because even though it might be boring sometimes, you get to take extra notes that may not be online. Some professors only include the outlines online too, so it pays to go to class, download those, and then take the notes as they talk. Some professors even say what you should highlight or what might be on the test, so if you don't go to class, you may miss something. Most importantly, a lot of professors i've dealt with don't like it when you're absent, so they may take off points every time you're not there. Let's just say, it REALLY pays to go to class.

DON'T: Walk Alone at Night

Especially if you go to a HUGE school. However, whether you go to a small, medium, or large school, you should never walk alone at night. Although campus police is always available and street lights are always on, whether you're a guy or a girl, you should always walk with a buddy. Crime can sky rocket anywhere and there can be strangers around every corner. Also, I've found the locals can wonder onto the campus and lurk in the shadows. Always make sure you walk back home, or to your car, with a friend. Always think safe!

Now that you have some ideas of what you should and shouldn't be doing in college, I hope that you're ready for your first year in college (or your second, third, or even fourth). College can be scary, so pick up all the tips you can get. Good luck!