That Time I Rejected Sean Hayes' Hug

That Time I Rejected Sean Hayes' Hug

I might have been 'fangirling' a bit over the 'Will & Grace' star.

6
Justin Adams

I am obsessed with Broadway and constantly seeing shows. I honestly can't get enough of them. Don't tell my parents, but I have seen nine shows since I moved to NYC in mid-May. That is over one show per week.

Now you might say that I have an obsession but I promise it is one that is healthy. I actually have gotten really good at getting discounted tickets for amazing prices. So even though I have seen so many shows, I have spent minimal money in comparison to the full price retail value.

Anyway, so the other day I left work craving the theatre, and tried to secure standing room only tickets for "Waitress: A New Musical." These types of tickets are my favorites! You literally pay to watch the show standing, but because Broadway theaters are so small, the view is prime. They only sell them once the show is sold out, and this particular show was not sold out. Womp, womp.

So I decided to walk two streets down to West 45th Street, and try my luck at Sean Hayes' show "An Act of God." I arrived at the theatre where rush tickets were still being sold. I was ecstatic because most rush tickets are sold out when the box office opens at 10 AM. Rush tickets are basically seats that do not sell as well because they are "limited view," meaning you cannot see a tiny certain part of the stage where the main action does not occur. The seats are perfectly fine other than that. And for $30-50, they are a steal!

Anyway, I saw the show and it was hilarious. About 80 minutes of God taking over the body of Sean Hayes to communicate with the human race. The overall plot was lacking, but Hayes is hilarious. His acting from "Will & Grace" definitely pops in during the show and we get to see some of Jack McFarland, or too hardcore fans, "Jack 2000," or "Just Jack."

After the show, I raced to the stage door hoping to meet one of my TV idols. After all, "Will & Grace" was a fantastic show to watch. It is bursting with well-written quips and one-liners that I find myself constantly referring to.

So I am at the stage door getting my playbill signed by the actor who played the archangel, Michael, when Sean Hayes comes from backstage. He starts signing playbills quickly approaching me. I am so star-struck that I barely realize that Hayes is signing my playbill. I look up and tell him big of a fan I am. I tell him that I literally fall asleep to "Will & Grace" every night. He is on vocal rest so he whispers a faint "Aw, thank you."

Hayes then proceeds to lean forward, and I take that second to ask him if I can have a selfie before he grabs another playbill to sign. He responds with a simple "Yes, but I would like to hug you first." I am in disbelief as he continues to lean forward to complete the hug. Honestly, I am not even sure if I actually even hugged him back.

After we hugged, I asked again if we could get a selfie. He agreed but was still signing playbill hence the awkward angle of his head in the cover photo. My excuse is that I was just in complete in total awe. Overall, it was quite a night! I am still debating if it was better than that one time I met Idina Menzel...