5 Things To Do If You're Spending Thanksgiving Alone
Thanksgiving

5 Special Ideas If You're Spending Thanksgiving Away From Home

How to make the most of the holiday spent alone.

67

Thanksgiving is an odd holiday in the college world, as it falls right before finals begin and a few weeks before winter break starts. For me, I look forward to winter break the most, as not only are you free from college expectations for at least a week or two, but if you are anything like me, you take advantage of the holidays for endless family time, lots of relaxation, and never-ending amounts of food and coffee. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving for me means spending a Holiday away from my family, like many others, sometimes going home for that amount of time is just impossible due to work or timing or money.

So if you are anything like me and you are in need of a few ideas on how to make the Thanksgiving holiday still feel special, here are some tips!

1. Make A "thank you" list

This one may seem cheesy, but it truly allows you to feel the spirit of the holiday. Make a list of the friends, family, and things you are so thankful to have in your life. If it is family or a friend, text this person, or call them, and let them know how thankful you are to have them in your life. Sometimes a little bit of love can go a long way, and you never know who could use a little extra love in their life.

2. Volunteer

Going along the lines of spreading love, take Thanksgiving as an opportunity to make a difference. Even if you don't have time to go to your local homeless shelter or hospital on the day of, sign up for a week after or later in the month. Schedule a time to give back to your community.

3. Do something you love and miss

Sometimes in life, we don't always get the opportunity to do simple things that we love before life takes over. Whether you love reading a book, cleaning, going to the gym, or baking, take this holiday as an opportunity to spend at least an hour doing something you may never get to do. Take a second to appreciate the little things, even if they don't come around very often.

4. Try a new recipe

If you are anything like me, you have a whole Pinterest board full of fall and holiday recipes you know you will never try even though they look SO GOOD. Well, if you have a little bit of free time on this holiday, now is your chance. Pull up the recipe of your choice, and go crazy. Make your kitchen your lab and just experiment! You never know if something edible may happen.

5. Get ahead

Although it may be the last thing you want to do, Thanksgiving is a great time to get ahead on school work or actual work. If you're struggling to find motivation, just remember to be appreciative of the school work or job you have access to, as not many people are given the same opportunities as you.

So on this holiday full of thankfulness, I hope you find some time to be thankful for you, your life, and all those people and opportunities that are in it!