We Should Be Thankful Every Day, Not Just On Thanksgiving

It becomes and afterthought in our lives.

19

We often go through our lives without ever giving a backward glance to what we are doing. We become so focused on the menial everyday tasks that we often forget about what is truly important.

Thanksgiving is often the time of the year where everyone gets to see family that they only see on Thanksgiving. They reconnect, have some good laughs, and make new memories. When the night is over, we all go our separate ways and continue on with our lives.

With the holidays just around the corner, we are now, more than ever thinking about families and what it means to be thankful. Why is it that this is the only time for us to reflect and be thankful?

As a college student, I understand what it means to be busy. I wake up in the morning most days wishing it was time to go to bed. We're all tired and overworked, and sometimes don't get a chance to think about the world outside of ourselves.

Most of us don't think about how blessed we actually are. I get to attend a beautiful school, I have amazing friends and a supportive family. However, I don't think about this as I go about my everyday life.

I think it's crazy that I can't stop for a moment every day to be thankful for this. It takes having a holiday literally called Thanksgiving for me to reflect upon what I have in my life.

We all can't be so busy and consumed with work or technology to let what's right in front of us pass by. We have to slow down and not wish life away.

Now sitting here, I'm telling myself that I'll try to become more mindful about what I have in my life. However, I know that it will likely escape me again as I go about my daily routine. Is this okay, or should everyone, myself included, try to be more thankful in their everyday life.

The holidays are a time for reflection and spending time with family. So this year as you're sitting around the dinner table, think about how lucky you are to be there. Enjoy spending this time with your loved one, and think about how to become a little more thankful in your everyday life.