I'm Thankful for Those Who Support Me

I'm Thankful for Those Who Support Me

A letter of gratitude to some of the supportive people in my life

187
I'm Thankful for Those Who Support Me

Continuing with the theme of being thankful this month, I'd like to take some time to recognize the people that keep me sane while I go through this place called "college" and become this thing known as an "adult".

Being away from my family only makes me more thankful for them. From packages on the holidays to checking in through text or Facebook, they are never out of reach. My parents encourage me to do my best while my siblings challenge me to do better. And while, at night, all my focus may be on the organic chemistry question at hand, there are loved ones thinking about me miles away. Knowing there is always a home to return to - not just the place, but the feeling - makes spending time at college, rigorously studying or briefly sleeping, worth it.

Another part of the glue that keeps me together is the support system here at school. Ranging from students to advisors to teachers, there is never a shortage of people willing to help with whatever issues arises. Study groups are formed when tests approach, advisors are booked when registration is around the corner, and teachers are contacted when a concept just doesn't add up. And while some are more helpful than others (I'm looking at you, Financial Aid office), the genuine interest in helping me build a better future for myself is not a feeling that is common at other universities.

I'm thankful the college teachers, for the most part, aren't at all what you expect from them. In high school we are told that they are strict and demanding. Fortunately, my experience so far has resulted in teachers that prove to be friendlier than those in high school.

However, beyond my academics, there's also the issue of my peace of mind - relaxation, socialization, and the occasional unexplained bugle call. For those times, I must thank my friends and roommates. They're always ready to sit around and talk or take an hour to bond over Ghost Adventures or Survivor. I'm appreciative of their willingness to share their interests with me and grateful for the peaceful environment that is created. Even those that I pass briefly in the hallway or maintain a relationship with mostly through Facebook, it's still nice to check in and see how friends are doing.

I would be remiss if I didn’t also mention the huge help my significant other is in my day-to-day mental stability. Whether it’s encouraging me to work through a strong feeling of procrastination or winding down and watching a movie when a break is needed, he keeps me on track. I’m thankful for the huge help he offers in classes and also the little things he does, like walk me to class or wait to eat with me after.

This is just a general view of the people that hold me up day to day. But everyone’s family, blood or no blood, is different. So no matter who is in your support group, take some time this month to thank them for just being themselves.