Thanking the teacher that go beyond.
Education

To All The Teachers In Our Lives That Go The Extra Mile

A thank you for the teachers and professors who have been much more than my teacher.

465
Zoey Leonard

My first semester in college, a professor had us write about why we wanted to be teachers. At the time, I said that I want to educate the future but after some time being the student and being the teacher, I finally know why I want to be a teacher.

To the teachers who have done more,

The first teacher that I ever had that did much more than what is outlined was in fifth grade. She was my reading and history teacher, but she was much more than that. Yet, in fifth grade, I never knew how much of an impact in my life she would have.

I have always struggled with reading. All throughout elementary school, I went to reading support. She was the first teacher to show any interest in actually helping me find a love for reading and develop my skills more. Going above and beyond what she was paid to do, she quickly became one of the most impactful people in my life.

Throughout my time in schools, I have had only a hand full of these teachers. Which is almost heartbreaking.

A month or so ago, I had the pleasure of encountering two more of these special kinds of teachers. They devoted unless hours to making the trip of a lifetime for students that they barely knew. They took everything a step further than any of us students would have imagined. They have truly helped shape me as a person and helped pave the path of my future.

A year ago, I would have told you I wanted to be a teacher to educate the future, but that has changed. I want to be a teacher so that I can impact a student the same way that these few teachers have impacted me.

I want to personally thank those teachers that I have had, you know who you are, that have really inspired me to become a teacher. You are the spark that has instilled the passion in me and I hope that someday I can put that passion in one of my students. I want to be that same positive role model for my students that you were and still are for me.

Teachers are probably the most underrated yet the most powerful professionals in the whole world.

Their work has a long-term impact on not just the lives of the children they teach, but on society as a whole. They have the power to shape generations, impact minds and make the world a better place.

Without teachers that take those extra hours, steps, and effort, the education process would be a bore.

So, a final thank you is in order. Thank you for going the extra mile. I hope that you all know that you have affected at least one student in the long run. I am forever grateful and strive to become a teacher like you every day.