A Thank You To Pantsuit Nation

A Thank You To Pantsuit Nation

We are stronger together, and we are always with her.
13

Pantsuit Nation has emerged from the post election rubble as a force to be reckoned with. The secret Facebook group, started just weeks before the November 8 presidential election, aims to promote unity amongst a party that is now divided.

As a proud member of this group, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude about my new friends, my belonging as a Democrat, and finally finding it within myself to accept me the way others do.

Dear Pantsuit Nation:

I never thought I would find "my people" on a secret Facebook group.

In the days leading up to the election, I was proud to read uplifting stories about how a girl was about to run the world. On November 8, I watched in horror as a nightmare became a reality. The next day, as I was scrolling through the countless posts about the outcome, I realized that I was not alone, and for the first time, I felt a sense of belonging.

it was comforting to see that I was not the only one grieving the possible progress. People from across the United States shared what I was feeling. The tears I shed were "normal," and I have you all to thank for it. Not only was I able to feel my own personal emotions, but I was able to be there for my friends.

After the initial grieving period was over, we were able to rally and canvass, text, and call people in favor of our Louisiana United States Senate runoff To think that millions of people across the country have focused on a Senate runoff here warms my heart, and I wanted to thank you all for coming together to restore our motivation.

I love that I am now aware that there are plenty of people who share my ideology. So I believe in some "liberal" things. Nearly four million fellow "pantsuiters" agree with me. When I was lost, especially in the week after the election, I would read through the posts, able to get my groove back.

Another thing that I have to thank you all for is for inspiring me, only twenty years old, to make and enact a change in my red state. Being blue is being an outcast many times, but I never feel that way with any of you.

The election, and its tumultuos ending, are over. Through the past few weeks of grief, I have found immense solace in the stories of love and triumph in the face of adversity. So thank you. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for reaching out when I was lost. You guys are my rock. Thank you for the new Facebook friends. Thank you for sharing your stories that have continuously inspired me. We are nasty women and men, and while we have a long way to go, with each other, we can do it.

Thank you, every one of you, so much,

Emily Rasch