A Thank You To My Grandpa For The Dancing Lessons

You taught me so much in our relatively short time together. I will forever be grateful for your love.
41

Dear Poptart,

It's been four years now since we've laughed together, spent the mornings drinking hot tea, or Friday evenings dancing in your apartment living room. I miss you more than words can possibly describe.

The more I grow up, the more I realize all of the important things that you taught me from a young age. You taught me to stand up for myself, and to be happy with who I am. You gave me an appreciation for music--good music like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. You gave me a love for coffee (even though I wasn't supposed to have any), cooking, and old movies.

I sometimes come to see you and read you poetry. I hope you know how badly I wish you were here to see the young woman I've become. I wish you could have seen me perform my senior year of high school, seen me, graduate, heard the poetry I finally started sharing--you always said I was good at writing.

I hope you know how badly I've wanted to make you proud. I'm no longer the little girl that constantly left her lunchbox or clarinet at home, calling her grandpa to come bring it to her. Although sometimes I still am forgetful, I think I'm a tad more responsible and a lot of that is because of you.

I miss cooking spaghetti with you, helping out at Knights of Columbus breakfasts, drinking hot tea, going out to eat, watching movies, and dancing. I miss your stories most of all. I know we would all get frustrated hearing the same stories over and over again but what I would give up to hear one of those stories again.

I learned so much from your stories and because of them, I found you again a couple of years after your passing on an island in the middle of the ocean. I met a man who grew up with you and it reminded how small this world is and how close you are even though I don't see you anymore.

I hope you know how much I love you. You were my second parent for a long time and I will forever be grateful for the love and care you showed me for so long. Not everyone is lucky enough to grow up with their grandparents right there, and I can tell you they are missing out. I hope you're still dancing. I love you.

Love,

Your granddaughter