11 'Thank You' Notes You Should Write, But Probably Haven't

Not all heroes wear capes.
85

Once upon a time, I needed groceries.

So, I hopped in my car and headed over to Walmart. While pacing the greeting card aisle, I noticed the packs of "Thank Yous" hanging on the grated shelf at the end of the lane.

I thought to myself, "Do people ever buy these aside from when they want to thank their guests for coming to their events and/or providing gifts?"

Why do we only send these notes of appreciation out of obligation or when someone else does something specifically in our favor? There are so many aspects of life that go unnoticed and unappreciated.

With the help of some overly used memes, I present to you a list of every-day people that deserve a little more love.

1. Custodians

Think about all those times you were in a rush to use the bathroom, but it was blocked off by a cart full of cleaning supplies. They do the job that everyone needs done, but no one wants to do. Thank them.

2. The Garbage Crew

It's irritating enough when roommates don't take out the trash. Can you imagine if the dumpsters were never emptied? Like janitors, they do what everyone needs done but doesn't want to do. Thank them.

3. Waiters/Waitresses

If you've never worked in food service, then this one's especially for you. A little bit of kindness goes a long way – even something as simple as stacking your plates before you leave the table. They put up with a lot of unnecessary attitude just to pay their bills. Thank them.

4. Customer Service

It's more than likely, they've been hung up on and called a plethora of names since they clocked in. Whatever customer service question, comment or concern you may have is what they're getting paid to help you with, but keep in mind that they probably aren't the reason you're upset in the first place. They're people, too. Thank them.

5. Professors

You may have six different ones to worry about, but they have to keep track of hundreds of students. They also aren't getting paid as much as you think they are. If they brightened your day or have a great teaching style or said something in lecture that stuck with you, send a positive email. Thank them.

6. Nurses

It doesn't matter if it's in the emergency room or in the doctor's office. Their jobs are crucial. If you think the wait is too long, imagine how much worse it would be if they weren't there. Thank them.

7. Cashiers

They are not time travelers. They have no way of turning back the clock to last week when your coupon wasn't expired. They also have no control over company policies that prevent you from returning a worn pair of shoes from three years ago. Thank them.

8. Construction Workers

Traffic sucks – I know, but as you sit in the AC and post it on your Snapchat story, construction workers are enduring whatever the weather conditions are in an effort to get you where you're going safely and efficiently. Be patient. Leave earlier. Thank them.

9. Caregivers

This is easily the hardest job for no pay. If someone you know is a caregiver (even if it's for someone you don't know), consider treating them to dinner or coffee to help them relax for a minute.

10. That Girl From Math

I use this term loosely, because it can be anyone you see on a regular basis who makes your day just a little bit brighter. You don't even have to know their name! Maybe they're always smiling at you or always holding the door, or they just have one of those personalities that brings joy to any room they enter. Let them know their kindness is appreciated. Thank them.

11. The Staff Where You're A Regular

Morning coffee, everyday lunch spot, evening drink – whatever it may be, they're there: doing their jobs. Consider leaving a note of appreciation on your receipt or even sliding a note their way letting them know how much their effort is appreciated. Thank them.