A Thank You Letter To Thesaurus.com, For Never Leaving Me Out In The Cold

Whenever I was stuck on a word, you were always there for me.
28

Picture this: It's 3 a.m., and your cozy bed is calling your name, yet you sit at your laptop and type away as the deadline for your fifteen-page paper quickly creeps upon you. Words flow from your mind to the paper until...until they don't. You're stuck on a word once again, and no matter how hard you think, you can't quite conjure the word that you're looking for.

Who do you reach out to when you face such a scenario? No, not your roommate-- she is sleeping. No, not a dictionary either-- you probably don't have one. Instead, you go to Thesaurus.com because you know it will always have your back.

One might argue that if you're really stuck on a word, you could just google it to find synonyms. I would oppose that alternative. True, Google provides comprehensive definitions and synonyms, but Thesaurus.com gives you the words you need in a clear and strategic way. You can easily select the definition of the word you need. The website then color codes synonyms based on relevance, complexity, and length. Not only did it save your grade, but it expanded your own vocabulary.

Thesaurus.com is so much more than just a last resort for a last minute essay. It's there for you from the beginning. You can utilize it in order to craft any tasteful piece of written work from start to finish. When I needed more intelligent words for an email to a professor, or I sought to use better vocabulary in an article like this, that website was there for me.

I ashamedly must admit that I occasionally wonder whether I have outgrown Thesaurus.com. I rely on it less, and the synonyms with the highest complexity no longer seem so impressive. Such thoughts, though, are few and far between. No matter how full the dictionary in my mind becomes, I wholeheartedly believe that Thesaurus.com will always be a part of my life.

So, Thesaurus.com, thank you. Thanks for all you have given me so far and for all the words you'll give me in the future.