To My Lifelong Best Friend, The Thank-You You've Always Deserved

If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever.
495

To my best friend,

My heart is full as I reflect on the sweetest memories of our friendship, and the wonderful, undeserved blessing that you've been to me. We have been through so much together: from the awkward middle school phase and terribly stressful high school years, to standing up to awful teachers and wondering how we would survive without each other. We simply did everything together. We have supported each other through every trial and celebrated together with every accomplishment. Finally, on the day we had been long anticipating, we gave our graduation speech together, celebrated together, and then after a summer that went by too fast, we prepared to go our separate ways.

Even though it is not easy being apart from the person who has been my partner-in-crime (both figuratively and for homecoming spirit week), it is a beautiful thing to grow as individuals on our own. And even as we are living this phase of our lives apart from each other, our friendship doesn’t keep count of miles or minutes.

Thank you for always making time for me, despite the fact that we both have busy schedules. I am so glad to know that you are just one phone call away when I need to laugh, or rant, or cry, or simply catch up after not talking for a while. You hear all of my struggles and all of my triumphs, both big and small.Thank you for caring about me enough to keep up with my life, even when you are not here to experience life with me.

Growing up is difficult at times, but it is easier because I know that I have a friend who has been constant through every change, every obstacle, and every blessing that life brings.

Thank you for not forgetting about me. Thank you for taking on adulthood with me, even when we aren't together. Despite the distance, we have grown closer instead of growing apart, and I will forever be grateful for that.

College has been made better with you in my life, even though I'm no longer able to spend every day with you.

I can only hope that our friendship will continue even beyond college as we start our own lives and may continue to be apart from each other. I hope that our friendship will continue to be a constant that we can rely on whenever we need the support of a true friend.

I wish that everyone would everyone would be blessed with a friend so fun, so caring, so committed. I am grateful that we are both sure that a friendship as beautiful as ours is worth cherishing, no matter what life throws at us.

Sincerely,

Your Forever Friend