A Thank You Letter to My Dog

A Thank You Letter to My Dog

The best therapist has fur and four legs

22
A Thank You Letter to My Dog
Adriana Marrero

You're away at college, the mid-semester slump is quickly approaching, and all you can think about is how badly you want to see your best friend back home--your dog (Yes, we do appreciate parents and human friends as well). Coming home to a furry friend whose so excited to see you that their wagging tail just about turns them into a helicopter has got to be one of the most wonderful experiences in the world. While lots of people can't stand the barking and the upkeep of a dog, the cuddles and puppy kisses are so worth it. But while you make me feel like such a special human, I have some things I need to thank you for.

Thank you for being so intuitive. As a puppy, I thought all you were ever going to do was run around the house and do whatever you wanted, but you've actually always been the one who can tell when someone is sad or stressed out. Whether its snuggling, or sitting on my homework so I'll laugh, you have a way of fixing everything.

Thank you for being so persistent. You lived to be 17 years old, and even as you aged more and your legs became weak and you'd fall over, you never failed to get yourself back up and go explore, even if it meant hobbling all the way there. (I'd also like to point out that persistence also applies to acquiring food; I know everyone can relate to that).

Thank you for teaching me perspective. I think that sometimes as we grow older we get so caught up in everything we have to do and take ourselves so seriously that we forget to enjoy the moment and the simple joys of life: sunbathing, taking a walk or just spending time with those you care about.

Thank you for being my best friend and fantastic listener. Through the years, you've been there for me through every struggle I ever faced, and while you may not have understood every bit of drama or angsty teenager stuff that I shared with you, you were still always there to comfort in whatever way you could.

Thank you for being my partner in crime. Growing up without a buddy to wreck havoc throughout the house or not having a mascot for the neighborhood kids' 'bike gang' would have been so much less entertaining. Plus, who else was going to serve as my protector from the giant German Shepherd next door (that you barked more at than you should have)?

Lastly, thank you for teaching me what it truly means to love someone unconditionally. You always loved with your whole being, no matter how annoying I must have been as a child (trying to ride on you like a horse) and never lost your patience.

Thank you, my little fruitsnack. I love you always.