An Ode To The Dining Hall

An Ode To The Dining Hall

Thank you for making freshman year what it was.
42

Freshman year is full of a lot of fun times. From football games to spring parties, freshman year introduces you to some of the most fun environments you'll ever be in. However, if you had told me coming into freshman year that the dining hall would be one of those "fun environments," I would've laughed in your face. While I knew coming into college that I would be spending all of my time eating some pretty incredible "dining hall food," I never knew how much time I'd actually spend at the dining halls and how many memories I'd be making there.

The dining hall gave me not only some awesome food but also some awesome moments. Freshman year would not have been the same without it. So as the year is winding down to a close, I'd like to say "thank you."

Thank you for being a place for me to post up with my laptop and study (socialize) for hours on end. I honestly give you total credit for that 94 I got on my Spanish quiz. It probably would've been a 92 without the quiet, serene study environment you provided (at least, that's what I tell my mom it is like).

Thank you for your chocolate fudge cookies. There's no better pick-me-up than a moist, warm, chocolate-y cookie. That's all I have to say about that.

Thank you for playing some bomb music. There's nothing like interrupting a conversation by singing along to "Sk8r Boi" as it plays from from the dining hall speakers. And while at times your music choices were sub-par, I can honestly say that your Eagles and P!NK-filled playlists were sure to brighten my day.

Thank you for creating a community. It's crazy to see how close I've become to people purely because we have a lunch break at the same time. The dining hall is a gathering place -- a place where new friendships are started and old ones can grow. I look forward to going to the dining hall every day because I know who I will get to see there. There's nothing like sharing a meal with your good friends, and there's nothing like sharing a meal every day with your good friends. So, thank you for being that meeting place we all know and love.

As my year is coming to a close and I am preparing to say goodbye to everything freshman year gave me, I've realized that saying goodbye to the dining hall and everything it offered will be one of the toughest goodbyes. It gave me some great friendships, a fun study environment, and a few extra pounds that I can't complain about. So, thank you, dining hall, for making my average days not-so average. You will be missed dearly.