thank you, dad, hate, love
Politics

Thank you for leaving, Dad.

This is not a hate letter. In fact, I love you in a way that I could never put into words. This letter is to thank you.

128
Thank you for leaving, Dad.

From the moment I came into this world, you were one of the first people I had contact with. One of the first people to lay their eyes on me and fall in love with everything about me. Growing up, you were my go-to, my everything, my daddy. We did everything and anything possible together. We were a dynamic duo.

But as time went on and I got older, things changed. As I look back, I remember all the things you taught me like how to ride a bike, how to tie my shoes, that I should always stay in school and to never let anyone push me around and to always stand up for yourself. But most importantly, you taught me to not let anyone give me less than I deserve. You always made sure I wasn't going to get hurt by a boy. That was your biggest thing. You were so protective of my heart but did you realize what you did in the end? Were you protecting my heart just so you could be the one to break it?

When you left, I was 12. I didn't know what it meant to miss someone who was still alive. I didn't know what it meant to forgive someone who was not sorry, or to accept an apology I never received. I did not know what it meant to have a broken heart. When you left, I felt a pain so raw and so deep that I did not know how I would pick up the broken pieces and live.

But now, ten years later, I want to thank you.

Today, I live in the knowledge that nothing and nobody could ever hurt me the way that you did. I love so openly and so fiercely because if my heart can heal from the damage you caused, it can heal from anything. Because of your absence, I am so acutely aware of those that are present. My heart overflows with gratitude for the people who have stayed. Because you made me weak, I can celebrate my strength, for I built my strength out of the broken pieces you left when you rocked my world like a hurricane.

Because I cannot celebrate you on Father's Day, I can celebrate my mother, who took on the role of mother and father when she did not have to, and then made it look easy.

What I can say is thank you. Thank you for showing me that although it is hard to not let people push me around and not let people give me less than I deserve, it is possible to get over the pain. Thank you for showing me I can't trust most men because the one man who always promised to be there and would never leave my side left me — flat out left me. Thank you for showing me that I can't trust people no matter how long I've known them and to always keep my guard up, because you never know who is going to hurt you. But most importantly, thank you for showing me how to live my life without you.

If you were even wondering — I'm doing great and perfectly fine without you.

Dad, when you broke my heart, I pieced it back together so much stronger than you ever could have.

So, thank you.