Dad, Thank You For All The Fun And Laughs You Bring To Our Family

You are, and will always be, the first guy to love me for all that I am.
1218

Age is just a number. I want you to know that. You may be middle age (double nickel specifically), but you are the funniest, wannabe hippest guy I know. There's a lot you have done for me and I want you to know what those things are.

You raised two daughters and lived with all women. It probably wasn't as bad when we were little but as soon as I got into middle school and the teenage years hit, I distinctly remember any time mom and I would get into a fight you would casually slip out of the room. You did your best when it came to dealing with our hormones and pointless, petty arguments.

You always find a way to put a smile on my face. I could be laying on the couch and you decide to make a funny comment or something to get my attention. You love getting a reaction out of all of us. Even when you are the only one laughing, it makes me happy. You may have really lame jokes, but what dad doesn't?

You are awkward but I absolutely love it.

I got it from you! Just like you and mom, I am always willing to start a conversation. But like you, it may be a completely random topic. Like the last you came up to school to visit me, you asked me, "So... are you failing any of your classes yet?" Now, you know I have never come close to failing a class, but you asked and it started a conversation and we didn't stop talking until I had to leave later that day. You may be awkward and not always know what to say, but you have your own way of saying it that makes it special to me.

You are the sole reason I am in love with professional sports.

You are the man that took me to my first NFL game. It was a preseason game because I was eight-years-old and mom thought it was inappropriate to take me to a regular season game (because of profanity). You taught me the rules and regulations of baseball and football. You sat on the couch with me watching baseball on TV. You also put up with me asking questions every two minutes when you would rather be listening to the commentary.

Who needs a son when you have a diehard sports fan that will talk baseball to you anytime! Because of you, I have the memory of getting my Instagram picture up on the jumbotron at Busch Stadium. Because of you, my dream job is work for the St. Louis Cardinals one day.

You support everything I do. When I was young, you and mom got me involved. You both signed me up for YMCA soccer and City softball. You both also signed me up for dance class and piano lessons. I continued with all three of those activities until one day, I realized I was not good at sports. However, I continued to dance in middle school in the theater department. I also took up singing.

By high school, I was a fine arts kid. Although sports were your forte, you supported me through it all. You and mom would be at all my concerts and theater productions. I still remember when my dance recital was over, mom would pick me up from backstage and you would be there with flowers and a big hug. Even when I'm in college, you get disappointed when you can't see a concert.

Even in college, you push me to follow my dreams. When I talk about auditioning for another show, you tell me to go for it! You continue to believe in me even when I don't believe in myself.

You are, and will always be the first guy to love me for all that I am. You've seen me disappointed, you've seen me excited, you've seen me heartbroken. I know that you will continue to love me no matter what I go through. I know it's hard for you to see your little girl grow up and date other people, but always know that I will always be your daughter and you will always be the first guy to ever love me.

What if someone told you 30 years ago that you would be married and have two daughters? You went from a family of all boys to your very own family of girls (including the dog). Would you believe it? When I ask, "Were you hoping for a boy?" and you always answer, "I just wanted you to be healthy." I know you want me to stay two-years-old forever and go to school at home, but you always seem to be proud and happy everytime I get home from school.

Age is just a number, but I love you, old man.