Texas, We Love You

Texas, We Love You

The Sutherland Springs attack can teach us one thing: live life with no regrets.

74
Texas, We Love You
Jessie Searles

Growing up in the Bible Belt, meant that going to church was something everyone did on a Sunday morning. The majority of the people would have alarms set nice and early, they'd get dressed in their Sunday best and go off to church with their loved ones.

In the town of Sutherland Springs, Texas that is what these people got up to do. They got up like it was a normal Sunday and went to church and saw their friends and families just like I do every week back at home.

The church I attend back in my hometown started off with 20 people when my family joined. We met out of the local YMCA, and everyone knew each other. I can't help but think about this event and think about how it could've been any small town, it could've even been my town.

Today I read an article that said that half of the members of the church died in the shooting, and I cannot even begin to fathom what that must be like. These people woke up believing it was going to be a normal day.

They believed they were going to go to church and come home like any other Sunday. They believed they were safe. No one should ever feel threatened in a place or worship no matter the religion.

People have been quick to provide their opinions on the subject and my request to you is to let the people of this town grieve.

Do not use this situation as a political soapbox within the first 48 hours of the event occurring no matter what you believe. Do not blame the Republican party for this situation because you believe we don't have tight enough gun laws. Blame the psychopath behind the massacre.

I do believe action should be taken to help prevent events like this occurring ever again, but for the time being let Texas grieve. You can believe whatever when it comes to gun laws, but as a nation we need to come together and send our love to Texas.

A number that changed the way I look at the situation is that Sutherland Springs has a population of 362 people. That means that nearly 4% of the population of this small town was killed in this shooting. This world seems to get scarier everyday, and an event like this will effect the way people live no matter where they are geographically.

This event has shown the world that a shooting could happen anywhere at any point in time. It doesn't mean we should always live in fear, but it does mean we should know something like this could happen anywhere.

If we can learn anything from this event I hope it is that we need to tell out friends and family we love them. You never know when a situation like this could happen to someone you love. Do not live life with regrets.

My love goes out to the people of Sutherland Springs. I think I speak on behalf of Texans around the world when I say my love goes out to y'all. No one should ever experience what you have been through no matter your religious stance.