Texas is Turning Blue.

Texas is Turning Blue.

Although it's reasonably hard to believe, traditionally Republican Texas is shifting to the left in this year's election.

25
Texas is Turning Blue.
Wikipedia - Flag of Texas

As some of you may recall, I have lived in Texas for seven years now. My very first article recounted my experiences shifting from living in Massachusetts to living in Texas. As I’ve discussed before, I am very liberal, and thus living in Texas has proved challenging due to the fact that Texas is famously and prominently republican.

It’s common knowledge that Texas is in the middle of the “Bible-Belt” and is ultra conservative. This left me in disbelief when I heard that Texas might be “turning Blue” for this presidential election.

For decades, Texas has characteristically voted “red.” According to the very helpful Wikipedia, Texas has voted for the republican presidential nominee since 1984.
When I typed into google, “how long has Texas been a red state?” the Politics of Texas Wikipedia page provided me with an answer of “approximately 100 years.”

For me at least, given this historical context, the news of Texas possibly becoming a “Blue” state is really exciting.

I, as I’m sure many fellow millennials would agree, am particularly pumped for this possible outcome due to the fact that I cannot possibly imagine the horrors of a Donald Trump presidency.

In researching this topic, I found an article from NPR that clearly illuminated some of the reason behind this political shift in Texas.

Hillary Clinton apparently still doesn’t “stand a chance” in Texas – sadly.

However, this article gains insight from two major groups of Americans who are overwhelmingly rejecting Trump, even in Texas. These groups are: Suburban Women and Latinx people.

Author Wade Goodwyn interviews Jody Rushton, “former president of the Texas Federation of Republican Women.”

Rushton has recently been canvassing around her neighborhood in support of Trump. One neighbor of hers, Charlene Collins, reports that “she's worried about the election.” Her main concern? "Mainly it's the judges. I can tell you truthfully, this is a really sad situation for us to be in."

In Rushton’s opinion, "Our candidate is not a politician…And, obviously, he's done things that are out there that we don't appreciate. There's no way I can condone what he's done and said in some of the areas. However, his words don't mean so much from 10 years ago as what he says he will do."

Carol Reed, “Republican political consultant in Texas for more than three decades,” says, “He has turned off women all over America," Reed says, "and it really doesn't matter whether you are an R or a D. We're no different when it comes to that kind of thing. So, the soccer mom today, while she cares more about economic stuff, there comes a point where there's a bridge too far, and I'm seeing already in North Dallas a couple of the 'nasty woman' T-shirts."

The comments by these women in Texas don’t surprise me, even given their republican political orientation. It’s not hard to become aware of the countless cruel, disrespectful, bullying, and blatantly incorrect, things that Mr. Trump has said, shamelessly, about and to women.

When it comes to those who are Latinx, I’m sure we all remember when Donald Trump called Mexicans “rapists.” His racism is blatant and it is no surprise to see Latinx people doing everything in their power to reject his potential presidency. (Gosh, “potential presidency,” what a scary phrase to write.)

Wade Goodwyn writes that Rafael Anchia, Democratic state Representative, “knows that in the past, Hispanic turnout in Texas has been a disappointment. But he believes this election is different.”

Anchia says that, "Where we stand today, Hillary Clinton winning Texas is very, very real," Anchia says. "We have a candidate who has gone out of his way to alienate Hispanic voters.

The repulsiveness of the things that Donald Trump says, believes, and promotes is beyond obvious at this point.

I am thrilled, and pleasantly surprised, at the possibility of Texas leaning towards the left for the election this year.

Now Everyone go Vote!