Excuse Me, But Why Does One Test Determine The Rest Of Our Lives?

How much should one number really define us?

99
Chris Liverani

As I am sitting here studying out of a massive book titled "SAT Preparation", I realize that the only emotion I have is confusion.

As I am sitting here answering various English and math questions, I realize that only more questions are forming in my head. Why are standardized tests so important? Why do I have to study so hard? Why does one number define my intelligence to my future educators?

For years, I have dreaded my junior year of high school because of the standardized testing. Not only are juniors throughout the country working to great extents to perfect the loose ends of their grade point average; but they're also trying to fulfill the expectation of receiving an exceptional score on a standardized test.

When applying to colleges, I have heard that the two most important things Universities evaluate is a student's grade point average and standardized test score. Although I do see the benefits standardized tests give of showing students their readiness for college, I don't understand why one number has enough power to determine your future.

First off, with time, I have realized that people test differently depending on the day. Whether it is hardships going on at home, a recent conflict, or just being tired, the standardized test shows no mercy when it comes to your score. We're all human. When negative emotions come to mind, the distractions it comes with can be detrimental to your performance. My English teacher has always told my class that we can't let one test define us, because maybe it was a "bad testing day". But is it fair that the one "bad testing day" can determine what college I can go to, what major I can get into, what the rest of my life will play out like?

Not only that, but some people cannot afford to take the test multiple times. So the one free test is their only shot. Fortunately, my parents granted me the luxury of taking the test multiple times and learning from books and tutors, but I know that not everyone can receive that advantage. So not only is the standardized test a reflection of your college readiness and hard work, but it is possible that the test is also a result of the abundant amount of money spent on multiple tests, tutors, preparation classes, and studying books.

Is it fair that some people have limitless attempts and expensive studying aid to receive their exceptional, defining score while others only have one shot? With this in mind, how much can this "defining score" really reveal to Universities?

Some of the most intelligent people I have met in my life are not the best test takers. These people have the wise and brilliant outlooks on life, yet colleges will not see that. Their amazing personalities will not be evaluated, only the number that appears on paper.

In the end, the quest to finding the perfect college is hard enough.

Throughout high school, a student enters various clubs, works hard to make their grade point average reach its fullest potential, and attempts to make the important decision of what they should do for the rest of their lives. Teenagers battle immaturity every day, and still face a lot of pressure about their futures. So why do the pressures of a good score on one test have to be added to the load? When reality is put into the equation of the test score, the solution of the defining number changes dramatically.

So I ask again, how fair is it that one test defines the rest of our lives?