Terrible Triad

This past week was a tough one. I was flooded with exams, online quizzes, group projects and work, on top of it all. I felt as if there were not enough hours in a day to take on every responsibility that was asked of me, let alone finding the time to breathe. Multiple tasks and a mini breakdown later, I fully experienced the terrible triad this past week.      

You know the saying -- you can only pick two. Balancing school, work, and attempting to maintain a social life to keep your sanity, is one of the most common anxieties among college students. When the time comes, how do you deal with it?     

Work ahead. There have been countless times when I have had an online quiz due the same night I was scheduled to go into work. Keeping up with your assignments that are due in class by using a planner is an excellent way to work ahead and know when you will have time to finish an assignment. Having homework due the same night as work isn’t much of a problem when you get it done two nights before the due date. This takes us back to the old proverb, “Work smarter, not harder.”     

Talk to family and friends. Don’t put your social life on the back burner! Although school and work may get in the way, be sure to take a few minutes out of your day to shoot out a text to those you care about. You might just find that a quick chat, or even a lunch break with your friend, is the perfect study break that you need.     

Find time to relax. Pushing yourself too hard is detrimental to your physical and mental well-being. You know what you are capable of, and you know when you have too much of an overload. Be active and go for a walk before you begin your next task, or watch a movie to take your mind off of things. You can’t do everything all at once, so try to enjoy yourself in the midst of it all.     

Know that it can be done. The stress and the anxiety that comes with juggling work, school, and a social life is not going to do anything but add extra hardships. Whether you stress about it or not, the time is going to pass. Take it one day at a time. Your assignments will be completed if you manage your time wisely. Your work will be completed if you show up ready to go. Your friends will still be there anytime you want to hang out. I promise, it can be done.     

Despite the fact that the life of a college student can be overwhelming, it is important to know that you are doing your best and that is all that truly matters. It can be tricky to find a balance between three of the most essential aspects of your life. If you do it right, juggling this terrible triad could possibly be one of the most rewarding and satisfying challenges you will ever encounter.