10 Things I Can't Wait To Do When I Get Back To Athens

The FOMO I feel for not living in A-Town right now is so real.

13
Cristina Formichelli

I'm currently leasing an apartment, but am not living in it. My parents want me at home for the summer and during the global pandemic. I was down there for a couple of days to partially move into my apartment, but now I wish so bad that I was there.

I got to hit up some local restaurants, take some familiar walks, and see some familiar faces (from a safe social distance,) and it made me more and more excited for all that's to come in this upcoming academic year.

Here are the top ten things I can't wait to start booling again in Athens:

1. Participate in a peaceful protest and help fight for change

Instagram

I'm working 40 hours a week with Bobcat Student Orientation this month, so unfortunately I can't put as much time into activism as I wish I could be right now. In fact, I had to leave Athens the day before the first protests were happening. I so wish I could be standing with my classmates fighting for what's right, but I'll have to wait until I'm done working or back in my favorite place.

Black lives matter. Please do your part in raising your voice and fighting for change.

2. Take a walk on the bike path

Instagram

There's something about the vibe of the bike path that I really like to seek out at times. I don't know what it is. Like, you're on campus but you're not. You see Athens trademarks, but only kinda. You just walk along the Hocking enjoying the outdoors, smiling at passerby's, and are just so pleasantly happy. I feel like a proper Athenian on the bike path. Let me know if that's crazy.

3. Eat at the local restaurants

Donkey Coffee, Athens, OH

Instagram

I got some Bagel Street Deli and Goodfellas while I was in town, but I can't wait to swing by Jackie O's, Union Street Diner, and so many more. Supporting the local college chains like DP Dough too are high on my list Especially the DP Dough located across the street from my apartment complex. Mmm. I'm getting hungry, so I should probably move onto my next point.

4. Visit the Ridges & the Kennedy Art Museum

Instagram

I love the Ridges with my whole heart. Spooky stuff is so up my alley. I also make a point to visit the Kennedy museum once a semester, as the exhibits change. I don't like missing them. I would one day like to go stargazing at the Ridges, I still haven't done that. And climb to the top of Radar Hill while I'm at it. Two years at Ohio University and I still can't believe some of the stuff that I've missed out on!

5. Lay out a blanket in Back South

Instagram

Preferably where Atkinson, my freshman year residence hall, once stood. It's by far my favorite place on campus There's virtually no one there most of the time and the vibes are immaculate. The memories and nostalgia that ebb and flow through that space are so special to me. I always make detours to my favorite place, even though it is so far out of the way.

6. Shop at the local Athens stores

Instagram

I walked past so many cute shops I'd never noticed before on Court Street last week when I was down there! Cute clothing stores that I most likely can't afford to buy from, groovy music shops I never seemed to notice before, and, of course, the other local places I haven't mentioned yet on Court Street. Maybe by the time I get down there I'll have money in my bank account and will be able to make what I call "investment" purchases.

7. Sit on a porch with my friends

Wikimedia

My apartment has a balcony, but it won't hit the same as sitting on a crappy porch in front of one of the houses off of Mill Street or any other streets my friends live on. I would prefer to be drinking something cold, surrounded by my friends, and have something fun being played from the speakers. I miss that.

8. Honestly, just walking around campus

Instagram

I haven't been in Emereti Park in awhile, and I've never sat on a blanket on College Green. I've always wanted to study under the tree by the amphitheater behind Scripps, and I would love to nab a table in front of Baker. I want to walk down the Richland bridge, check out what's painted on the graffiti wall, and see how the construction is going on the road over by West Green. I want to walk the familiar walks to my classes and my old residence halls.

9. Go Geocaching

Wikimedia

Geocaching in Athens is so fun! My boyfriend and I have so much fun deciphering clues and walking around together, enjoying the nice weather, and finding some hidden treasure. There are some caches we still haven't had the chance to look for, so dedicating a day to doing that is definitely on my list.

10. Have semi-normal human contact and interaction again

While it may be awkward and weird getting used to our new reality, we're just going to have to roll with it. We cannot let this virus take away what it means to be human; what it means to be a college student, and what it means to be a Bobcat. Whatever we have to do to adapt to life back on campus, I will happily do it if it means we get to be back hOUme. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

With each day that passes, we get closer and closer to fall semester 2020. However it may be, I just cannot wait to be back on the bricks in any capacity.

Be safe out there, Bobcats, and I hope to see you all very soon.