Ten Things Freshman Should Look Forward to Now That Rush is Over

The Fun Has Just Begun

3

Congratulations freshman!

You survived rush, and it was possibly one of the most stressful weeks of your life. In the next few weeks, you’re going to experience the many benefits of being in the Greek system. I could list thousands of reasons why being Greek is amazing, or emphasize the multitude of things you have to look forward to, but for now I’ll start with these ten and let you discover the rest for yourselves.

1)   Sisterhood/Brotherhood:  You’ve probably heard this word a million times last week, but it really is one of the best things about going Greek. You’ve just gained 200 or more sisters/brothers who have your back and will support you no matter what. It’s at the core of your sorority or fraternity and you’ll quickly experience and learn to value it.  

2)   House Food: So long Union and cafeteria food. Bring on the Fried Fridays! 

3)   Swaps: Hope you remembered to bring some tacky and wacky clothes to school. If not there’s always Goodwill. Swaps are a great way to meet new people and a reason to dress up and go out during the week.  

4)   Grove Tents and Stickers: Your sorority or fraternity Grove tent is a great place to meet up with friends on game day and you can’t beat the free food. We all love supporting and showing off our letters, therefore stickers are just another way to do that. 

5)   Philanthropy Events: It’s always great to better the community, help an organization, and give back to others, especially when you’re doing it with your sisters and brothers.  

6)   Big/Little: Some say Big/Little week is like Christmas. Who wouldn’t want to get spoiled for a week and in the end find a new best friend and someone to look up to? Your Big is someone to confide in, have fun with and give you a hug at the end of a long day.

7)   T-shirts: You’ve seen all the upperclassmen wearing them to class and now it’s your turn. They’re another great way to support your sorority/fraternity and represent the many wonderful values your house exemplifies. 

8)   The House: It’s a place to go in between classes, to share a meal with your sisters/brother, to study, watch the Bachelor or a sports game, etc. 

9)   Formals and Date Parties: We all love social events, therefore formals and date parties are just another excuse to hang out with your new best friends. You finally get to ask that really cute guy or girl you’ve been crushing on from biology, not to mention a great Instagram opportunity.  

10)  No Longer a Number: Sometimes when you go to a big state school you feel like you’re just a number. A small fish in a big sea. But now you’re a part of something and have 200 plus sisters/brothers to smile at or say "hi" to around campus and Oxford.