10 Tag Teams On Top of the World Today

10 Tag Teams On Top of the World Today

Tag team wrestling is alive and well...not everything has to be individually successful.

1864
10 Tag Teams On Top of the World Today
Wikimedia

Tag team wrestling is alive and well.

As a priority to any pro wrestling promotion, tag team wrestling has had its ups and downs throughout the years, with promotions like WWE focusing more on single competition rather than teams fighting over the tag team championship. Some promotions, such as New Japan Pro Wrestling and even NXT, celebrate tag team wrestling with tournaments like World Tag League and the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. Teams like The Hart Foundation ignited this passionate form of pro wrestling back in the 1980s while teams like the Hardy Boyz, Dudleys and Edge and Christian furthered it.

As the 2000s approached, tag team wrestling decreased a little bit when WWE split into two brands that saw teams like the Dudleys splitting up and on different shows while rising teams like Team Angle (Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas) and even Edge and Rey Mysterio took the world by storm. By now, tag team wrestling is at its finest, with popular teams in different promotions and giving fans a glimpse into how team-based wrestling is still a priority division in these promotions.

Below is a list of the top ten pro wrestling tag teams in the world today, based on popularity among the fans, championship success as of late, and promising futures.

1. The Bar (WWE)

Cesaro and Sheamus became an unlikely duo after their somewhat dull Best-of-7 series that closed out the summer of 2016. Paired by then-Raw GM Mick Foley, the two continued their bickering as they began to win matches as a team. After ending the record-setting reign of the New Day in December of that year, Cesaro and Sheamus began to be seen as more legitimate team working together. After having a rough start to 2017, the two remained relevant in the tag team division as The Hardyz returned to WWE and won the Raw Tag Team Championships at Wrestlemania. From there, Cesaro and Sheamus began a friendly rivalry with the legendary tag team before their Payback match turned personal and the Swiss-Irish connection turned heel.

Now full-fledged bad guys, the duo capitalized on their anger and became a threatening team in the division, finally capturing the Raw Tag Team Championships for the second time in 2017 and not just "setting the bar", but "being The Bar". Feuding with Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose heading into the fall, the two continued being an entertaining yet powerful tag team in WWE as they traded tag team titles with both Rollins and Ambrose and then Rollins and Jason Jordan (filling in for an injured Dean Ambrose). Now in turn to face Rollins and Jordan at the Royal Rumble, it wouldn't be a surprise if the two win gold heading into Wrestlemania 34 and furthering their dominance as a tag team.

2. The Young Bucks (ROH/NJPW)

It's no surprise these two brothers have been at the top of the wrestling world for a long time now. Considered the most popular tag team in the world, the Jackson brothers have been at their prime since joining Bullet Club back in 2014 and establishing The Elite subgroup in 2016 after AJ Styles left and Kenny Omega became the leader of the Bullet Club. Having great matches with teams like Roppongi Vice, Roppongi 3K, and even Funky Future as of late, the brothers have also been at the top of the merchandising scene as well. Signing a deal with Hot Topic and even starting their own merchandise website, the two have been very profitable in their sales.

As if that wasn't enough, the two have also been popular on social media with their YouTube vlog/scripted series "Being the Elite", documenting their adventures in the rapid wrestling business and their relationships with other pro wrestlers such as their Bullet Club brethren. Currently signed to ROH and NJPW, the brothers are currently IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team champions for the seventh time in their careers. There's no end in sight for these ELITE siblings, and they certainly back it up with their in-ring intensity. Can they get a 2--er, 1 Sweet?

3. The Usos (WWE)

The only set of twins in WWE at the moment, and current Smackdown Tag Team champions, The Usos are the essential team first, individuals second type of tag team in the world right now. Ever since turning heel in late 2016, the twins have garnered success as champions since winning the titles from American Alpha and trading victories with the New Day over the summer before solidifying themselves as a dominant tag team right now.

Their rivalry with the New Day escalated into a Hell in a Cell match in October that saw the twins capture their fifth tag team championship, yet their shining moment of 2017 was their classic bout with then-Raw Tag Team champions The Bar at Survivor Series 2017 where the brothers bested the European brutes in a non-title, Interbrand tag team match. Respectively, this team has bigger and better things to do than fool around in the ring, so 2018 seems to be another great year for these grizzled veterans looking for a fight in what they call the "Uso Penitentiary'.

4. The Undisputed Era (WWE/NXT)

Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, fka reDragon, became a dominant force in NXT this summer when they aligned themselves with "ADAM COLE BAYBAY!" after NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III and called themselves the Undisputed Era. Assaulting then-tag team champions Sanity, Fish and O'Reilly made a statement to the NXT tag team division and collided with contenders like Authors of Pain over a chance to be the next tag team champions.

Championship success was finally achieved when Fish and O'Reilly captured the titles from Sanity on an episode of NXT TV in mid-December of 2017. Their chemistry as a team has given them even more credibility, and their rampant dominance over superstars give precedence that 2018 will be...undisputed. As long as Adam Cole makes his dream of being NXT Champion a reality.

5. Guerrillas of Destiny (NJPW/ROH)

Another representing team of Bullet Club, consisting of brothers Tama Tonga and Tongoa Loa, have been a dominant team in the heavyweight tag team division of NJPW. Called Guerrillas of Destiny, this team have been on top of the world since being inaugural members of Bullet Club back in 2013. Winning the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team championships on a multitude of occasions, the Samoan brothers have cemented their legacy as one of the most intimidatingly cool tag teams of the last decade, facing teams like War Machine and even Killer Elite Squad as of late. They have also won the NEVER 6-man Openweight tag team championship with Bad Luck Fale, the 'Underboss' of Bullet Club.

6. Authors of Pain (WWE/NXT)

NXT 's most powerful tag team right now, The Authors of Pain, has been on the rise of recapturing their coveted championships since losing them to Sanity in August of 2017. Managed by the great Paul Ellering (former manager of the Road Warriors), the team had a tremendous end to 2016 by winning the second Dusty Rhodes Tag Team classic that propelled them to winning the NXT Tag Team Championships from #DIY at NXT Takeover: San Antonio and defending them in back-to-back classics at Takeover: Orlando and Chicago.

Challenging Undisputed Era at the upcoming Takeover: Philadelphia, Authors of Pain are poised to either recapture their titles or bid adieu to NXT and move onto the main roster after Royal Rumble.

7. War Machine (NJPW/ROH, WWE)

Reportedly signed to WWE around New Year's, this tag team has been on fire as of late in New Japan as versatile, hybrid wrestlers that can fly around the ring and be brutes.

8. The New Day (WWE)

WWE's comic trio has been popular since their initial conception in late 2014 when they became the longest-reigning WWE tag team champions from August 2015 to December 2016 and traded victories with the Usos over 2017 that furthered their dominance in the promotion when they moved to Smackdown.

9. The Motor City Machine Guns (ROH)

Currently, the Ring of Honor tag team champions, these two friends from Detroit have been a popular tag team since their first stint in TNA back in the late 2000s. Trading victories with the Young Bucks, Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin have been on top of their game since reuniting this past year.

10. Rusev and Aiden English (WWE)

Initially a throwaway team, Rusev and English have become a dark horse tag team on Smackdown these last few months behind the popular slogan 'Rusev Day' that connected fan's support of Rusev and his push for being WWE Champion. Could 2018 finally be 'Rusev Year' for the wannabe singer and the Bulgarian Brute?