10 Horror Films For A Terrifyingly Good Time This Halloween

5. "Alien" (1979)

65
The Verge

Horror is one of my favorite genres in film, yet one that I have plenty of issues with. For every unexpected success or dash of ingenuity that pops up in the genre, there seems to be that artificial, dumbed-down jumpscare-fest. Horror is hit-or-miss for me, even given the rise in quality horror cinema over the past few years.

Nevertheless, it is a genre that deserves to be recognized for those works that are remarkable and inspired. From its earliest roots in the German Expressionist movement to the widespread popularity of franchises like “Saw” or “Paranormal Activity,” there’s no doubt that the horror genre has evolved dramatically, replete with innovations and true landmarks. I’m counting down ten of those landmarks here--these are my top ten horror films of all time!

10. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974)

When it comes to sheer brutality on screen, few films do it better than “Texas Chainsaw.” Relying on a constant assault of the senses, “Texas Chainsaw” makes sure you’ll never want to go into the countryside again. What it lacks in depth and intellectual genius it more than makes up for in creating real terror as the film’s teenage characters are slaughtered like cattle one by one. From Leatherface’s first kill to the gruesome cannibal dinner scene, “Texas Chainsaw” is a gory and disgusting offering with a gravity that pulls you in and never lets go.

9. "Halloween" (1978)

The original “Halloween,” coming before the popularity of “Friday the 13th” and the like, showed the slasher film sub-genre’s potential. A gripping, suspenseful and brutally honest commentary on the recklessness and promiscuity of the youth, “Halloween” knows how to attack the audience on the psychological level, just like Michael Myers’ very existence worms its way into the heads of Laurie Strode and her very unfortunate friends. On top of all that, “Halloween” is in my opinion one of the finest examples of feminist cinema. Laurie proves to be much more than the meek good girl type, daring to fight the murderer head-on--a choice that would be parroted in many horror films to come. In these ways and others, “Halloween” is a pioneering force in the horror genre and a bloody, timeless classic.

8. "Jaws" (1975)

It is widely known that sharks do not kill people as often as they think; in fact, you’re not very likely to be killed by one the next time you go swimming. But when this blockbuster came out in 1975, cinemagoers were much more wary about frolicking on the beach. Director Steven Spielberg shows that he is a master of suspense and dread, building the fear factor by showing brief but powerful snippets of the titular shark’s butcher-like handiwork. We as the audience are as tempted to give into paranoia as protagonist Martin Brody, forced to comprehend an enemy that neither we nor Brody can predict. It’s a great fusion of tension and commentary that solidifies “Jaws” as one of the finest horror films.

7. "The Cabin In The Woods" (2011)

By 2011, I was tired of horror and its abuse of tropes. Leave it to the wonder duo of Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard to address those concerns with this darkly funny horror-comedy. “Cabin” succeeds in a similar fashion to “Scream” by subverting what we know of the typical, mass market horror film through the use of mystery and satire. Utilizing clever metaphor and wit, the film takes on a self-aware persona that exposes horror’s contradictions and silliness--even its own. Charming performances from leads Kristen Connolly and Fran Kranz, a stellar and tongue-in-cheek screenplay and an unexpected conclusion make “Cabin” a familiar thing made new once more.

6. "Night of The Living Dead" (1968)

Better thank George Romero for your “Walking Dead” and “Zombieland,” because this is the film that made all of that possible. “Living Dead” drops us in the tension-filled, brilliant setup of a small home populated by a handful of survivors with little patience, camaraderie, or chances of escape. Romero uses dynamic cinematography and very taut performances from the cast to illustrate just how hard it would be to survive a zombie apocalypse and prove the point that sometimes we are scarier monsters than the actual monsters on film. From beginning to end, “Living Dead” is a gripping socio-political assessment of humanity--that just so happens to have the earliest use of flesh-eating, mindless zombies.

5. "Alien" (1979)

Initially mocked as a space-y version of “Jaws,” this Ridley Scott classic paved the way for sci-fi horror--a sub-genre that hadn’t been tackled in full capacity before. Additionally, one has to admire the technique and skillful artistry present in the film’s key aspects: the atmospheric and immersive settings, the use of darkness to build tension, tight and intense cinematography, and the pointed, thought-provoking commentary on gender and sex. The film is also notable for its introduction to Ellen Ripley, one of the most iconic and revered fictional characters of all time and certainly a milestone for women in cinema. Intense, refreshing, and unforgettable, “Alien” gives us a disturbing and compelling glimpse into the human psychology, all under the spellbinding backdrop of a Kubrickian future.

4. "Psycho" (1960)

“Psycho” is a film whose influence is felt throughout horror cinema. It was the genesis of many modern horror tropes, including an isolated setting, an antagonist who initially seems benign, and a chilling murder mystery. Through smart cinematography choices, Hitchcock builds fear and suspense not through spamming jumpscares, but through careful and systematic planning. These choices ultimately make the payoff of the scares that much more effective, as we can almost feel the numerous stabbings and slashings. A marvel on the story and especially the technical level, “Psycho” is a horror cornerstone that the genre probably could not have survived without.

3. "The Babadook" (2014)

I believe that you don’t need much to do horror right; Jennifer Kent’s “The Babadook” is a stellar example. To give you some perspective, the titular creature rarely ever shows up, its presence and position in the frame almost always implied. There are no radical special effects sequences, no creatures popping out, nothing at all--hence why it’s so terrifying. The film teases the audience, toying with their minds and expectations; it’s a characteristic that truly allows the audience to comprehend the descent into madness experienced by single mother Amelia. Coupled with a surprisingly heartfelt and melancholy story about how we move on from grief, “The Babadook” is a well-acted, well-paced and minimalistic horror film that fires on all cylinders.

2. "The Exorcist" (1973)

There are forces and things in the world that we cannot possibly comprehend; corruptible forces that science cannot simply swat away and challenge our notions of humanity and faith. This paradigm is the driving force behind “The Exorcist” from the technical and narrative perspective, and it is the reason why the film is as impactful as it is. There is a constant stream of escalation, a cascade of disturbing images and a growing feeling of powerlessness and dread that keep viewers alert and on the edge of their seat, no matter how tempting or easy it would be to look away. The ever-persistent questions of how Regan will be cured or where the demon possessing her came from harass the audience just as much as Regan’s mother, Chris, further pulling us into the action. From its incredibly gut-wrenching visuals to its shocking story, “The Exorcist” is a film you’ll probably want to watch with the lights on.

1. "The Shining" (1980)

Stanley Kubrick has often been described as nothing short of a perfectionist, and this is quite clear in the almost painting-like quality of the frames in his films. This artist-like perfectionism is especially important to “The Shining,” a psychological mystery thrill ride that confuses yet also intrigues at the same time. The seemingly typical and quaint Overlook Hotel is almost as much of a character as Jack Torrance or his family, filled with little details and flaws that, if noticed and analyzed, yield interesting conclusions about what’s really at work within the story.

And as for the story, Kubrick’s unique and profound direction brings forth a tale that feels unique and experimental instead of conventional and predictable. Much like “The Exorcist” or “Alien,” the real fear comes from what we as the audience do not understand; in the case of “The Shining,” this is compounded by the artistic cinematography, the disturbing setting, neat effects, and the intense and creepy performance by Jack Nicholson as Torrance. “The Shining” stands to this day as one of the most celebrated horror films of all time, inspiring legions of commentators and theorists alike to postulate on its complexity.

And there you have it--my ten favorite horror films of all time. While horror has been through a rocky patch over the course of the past few years, there is still no denying that the genre is capable of true cinematic greatness. The horror films on the list and many others, plus some of those being made in the present, understand the potential that the genre carries. These films tap into that potential completely, finding new and more innovative ways to scare the life out of us all.