The 10 Disney World Dos And Don'ts Every Guest Should Know

The most magical place on earth become hell on earth if you don't follow these simple tips.

446
Park Troopers

A Walt Disney World vacation is unlike any other vacation you've ever had. For some people, a Walt Disney World vacation might be a once-in-a-lifetime chance at experiencing one of the world's greatest theme parks, for others, it could be a trip down memory lane. However, it can also be a nightmare for some first-timers. Usually, a nightmarish trip could've been avoided by doing a little more research rather than just "winging it". As a native Floridian and Disney World fan, I feel it is my duty to help those in need. Here a few do's and don'ts that'll help you get through your first Disney World vacation.

1. DON'T get to the parks late!

Most people see a vacation as an escape from reality for a while. It is a time of rest and relaxation, a time to kick up our feet and just let time roll by. But, that's not what Disney World is about. You're going to want to get to the parks early in the morning to avoid all the crowds that roll in by noon. I know it sucks to wake up early but just think of all the fun you'll have riding Space Mountain before the wait becomes 110 minutes.

2. DO make FastPasses!

Disney's new FastPass+ system allows you to make FastPass reservations up to 60 days in advance if you're staying with a Walt Disney World resort hotel (30 days if you're staying anywhere else). You're allotted three FastPasses for each park and your reservations can be changed at any moment on your MyDisneyExperience app! Be sure to reserve FastPasses for the most popular attractions since they'll allow you to bypass those long lines.

3. DON'T confuse Disneyland and Disney World!

One of the most common mistakes I see guests making is calling Disney World, Disneyland. Disney World is FAR bigger than Disneyland and offers more in terms of experiences. I once heard a story where a gentleman thought he had made reservations at the Grand Floridian resort, only to find out he had made them for the Grand Californian resort in Anaheim. Be sure to know which resort you want to visit, as well as their differences, before making your reservations.

4. DO make dining reservations!

If you were to try all of the dining options at the Walt Disney World resort, it could take you four months just to try every single option available. While the counter service locations at Disney World are great, the resort truly shines where its table service restaurants are concerned. While it could be easy to do walk-ups at less popular locations, you're going to want to make reservations at the more popular restaurants; especially the ones that offer character dining. Dining reservations can be made up to 180 days in advance through Disney World's website or by calling (407) WDW-DINE.

5. DON'T forget to research attractions before you go!

Disney World has some of the best rides and attractions in the world! many of them are designed for families to enjoy, while others cater to older crowds. It's important to know what some attraction experiences are like, especially if you're traveling with small children. Be sure to check all height requirements for the bigger attractions, as well as some of the features of the attraction. If your child is easily scared, I don't recommend taking them on rides like The Haunted Mansion or Dinosaur, especially if you don't want to deal with a screaming child.

6. DO stay on property!

While it is more cost effective to stay off property, it is far more magical to stay in a Walt Disney Resort Hotel! Disney's resorts are broken up into three categories: deluxe, moderate, and value which makes it easier for families to pick which resorts best suits their budget. Every resort is highly themed and staffed with friendly cast members who are always there to help.

7. DON'T expect everything to be perfect!

While it's important to be excited about your Disney vacation, don't expect everything to go according to plan. Disney World is free from the constraints of everyday life, but it isn't safe from life's mishaps. Be sure to plan ahead for things like inclement Florida weather, ride refurbishments, and breakdowns. Also, remember to take breaks during your day in the park so that you don't have a mid-day meltdown.

8. DO be kind to cast members!

Cast members are the lifeblood of the Walt Disney World resort. They are the ones who make the magic for guests as well as keep them out of harm's way. Be sure to always thank a cast member for their service and show that you appreciate them. If a cast member went out of his/her way to make your experience special, be sure to mention it to their leaders or to guest relations so that they can recognize that CM for a job well done!

9. DON'T litter!

Disney parks around the world pride themselves on the cleanliness of their parks. Trash cans are literally thirty feet apart from one another so it isn't hard to find a trash can nearby. Be sure not litter ANYWHERE in the parks, or you might catch some disapproving glares from cast members and other guests.

10. DO have fun!

Most importantly, have fun on your Disney vacation! make it a time to reconnect with your family and friends! Meet the characters! Scream as loud as you can on Splash Mountain! And be sure to become a kid again as you walk down Main Street USA and see Cinderella Castle rising up in the distance.