The Ten Commandments, Translated By A Teenager

Here's a Ten Commandments crash course

7007

As a Teenager, I can understand why trying to understand The Ten Commandments in this current day and age can be unclear and confusing. As many do not know, the Bible was actually originally written in Greek. For many, this leaves those interested in faith and building a relationship with God feel lost in translation. If this sounds like you, I have attempted to decipher The Ten Commandments into common teenager vernacular. In creating this I felt I understood my faith a little better and I hope the same will go for you. This listicle should be taken lightly and is meant as a way for me to attempt to understand my own religious beliefs, and is not in any way meant to deface the Bible.

1. I Am The LORD Thy God...Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me

c1.staticflickr.com

Translation: I am God, your friend--your BEST friend, so do not worship any other friends above me.

2. Thou Shalt Not Make Unto Thee Graven Images.

Translation: Do not disrespect me in any way.

3. Thou Shalt Not Take The Name Of The LORD In Vain.

upload.wikimedia.org

Translation: Do not use me to justify rape/racism/homophobia/sexism or any type of hatred.

4. Remember The Sabbath Day, To Keep It Holy.

upload.wikimedia.org

Translation: Take a break from the rest of the week and hang out with me on sundays.

5. Honour Thy Father And Thy Mother.

upload.wikimedia.org

Translation: Your parents had to deal with a lot from you when you were little so please always remember that they love you and have your best interest in mind.

6. Thou Shalt Not Kill

upload.wikimedia.org

Translation (seriously, this one's easy): Do not murder.

7. Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultry

c1.staticflickr.com

Translation: Getting married means you are agreeing to sleep ONLY with your spouse

8. Thou Shalt Not Steal

pngimg.com

Translation (this one's easy too!): Do not steal.

9. Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbor.

c1.staticflickr.com

Translation: Do not be a snake, basically do not lie to or about anyone or anything. And yeah, God knows when you're lying .

10. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Goods.

media.giphy.com

Translation: Do not get overly jealous of other people, even if they have the newest iPhone AND Apple Watch.