Temple Grandin Reflects Autism Spectrum Disorder, And You Need To Watch It

"I am different... not less," - Dr. Temple Grandin

20

Temple Grandin a movie about a middle-aged adult with autism. Temple was unlike most children while growing up. She wasn't sociable, did not speak until the age of four, and was mind-blowingly great at arranging things with pictures rather than managing the written word. While Temple's mother was told, she should have been institutionalized due to her autism her mother persevered and helped temple the best she could with a typical life. Temple went on to high school and college to become one of the most published authors of cattle.

During the movie Hollywood depicted Temple as sensitive to sounds, she hears things that people without a difference wouldn't even take notice too, like the sound of a fan or the air conditioning. She fears change, going from high school to college and not understanding why she needs to do it. She is depicted as very intelligent mainly using pictures to comprehend information. For example; in French when she was trying to say El atè but doesn't understand why there are so many fish. She draws pictures to help her understand therefore when she tries to remember what it means she can bring the picture to her mind. She has a different mind than others due to how she remembers anything that she has seen and where she saw it. She also understands science psychology with animals tremendously. Finally, Temple is considered high functioning due to her intelligence, being able to drive, and understanding what most people wouldn't even think about ( understanding the way cattle acts in plant situations).

Temple was portrayed as being timid, did not like being touched, shy, she talked very fast and did not like being around a bunch of people which caused her anxiety.

Throughout the movie Temple showed a great deal of independence aside from asking questions to an assignment. Temple did not rely on others because not many people understood her. Temple interacted well with her teacher in High school because he understood her and the way her mind worked. She also shared a great deal of information with her aunt while she was with her during the summers working on the farm. Temple with further interaction with different people started to make some friends like her roommate that was legally blind. Temple did not see her disability just like her roommate did not see hers. Temple then started to guide her and take her to places that she would actually enjoy as Temple did.

The use of the disability was a lack of focus unless it was something that she did not enjoy. For example; she did not like to be touched, sensitive to sounds like a fan or the air conditioning, did not speak until the age of four, she connects information with pictures, she is a visual thinker meaning when she sees something she sees it in multiple places from previous times, she fixates on things, and she doesn't like to be around a bunch of people due to her anxiety.

The movie impacts the audience by helping them understand people with Autism. This movie brings awareness that not every child/adult acts the same even if they have the same difference. This movie allows people to learn patience while working with people that have autism. For example; when Temple was working at the cattle factory her boss was not sure how to handle her questions and decided it would be better if she was not on the ranch. He was not understanding. This leads me into my next example; when Temple was leaving the store, she had a hard time getting through the door due to it being automatic. When Temple sees these doors, she thinks they are weapons that will hurt her such as a guillotine. A lady that was also leaving the store helped her get through the door by holding it open so it would not shut. She showed patience and understanding which is what everyone needs when being around people with autism. Autism is one of the most clinically diagnosed differences or disabilities in the eyes of clinicians, This being alongside ADD or ADHD. There are many subcategories that go along with Autism and what was discussed in this piece was only a tiny piece of information about this amazing gift that so many people have. I would like to leave you with one of my favorite parts of the movie. In the move Temple lives her life knowing she is not "normal" in the eyes of most people but, having this difference does not make her any less capable of doing something she loves to do. This helps the audience and society understand she and everyone else with a difference is "different, but not less."