7 Telltale Signs You Are Sleep Deprived

7 Telltale Signs You Are Sleep Deprived

It may be time to get some more sleep..

39
7 Telltale Signs You Are Sleep Deprived

School is rough. Between classes, part time jobs, clubs, and activities, and social happenings, it can be difficult to find any downtime at all. Everything seems so exciting, and in an attempt to pack as much as we can into every day, getting enough rest often takes a backseat in most students' minds. Who can blame us? While a couple of missed hours here and there are necessary and won't amount to much damage, Here are a couple of telltale signs that you have reached the stage of complete sleep deprivation, and should probably hit snooze a few more times...

1. You can't seem to focus on anything

This is one of the key components of being tired. Drowsiness affects your ability to focus and the sharpness of your thinking. This is a normal thing for students to experience, as you probably have many times before, and it does not necessarily mean you are sleep deprived. But when you feel foggy 24/7, it could mess with your ability to go about daily life to the fullest. When you can only seem to keep one thought in your head for the day, and that thought is "when will this day be over," it may be time to get some more sleep.

2.You catch yourself making odd mistakes

Being overtired messes with our minds, and you may find yourself making silly slip-up's because we just can't think straight. I'm sure we have all uttered the phrase "it's too early" as an excuse at least once in our lives. But there's a difference between feeling a little foggy during your first class and being totally out of it all through the day. When you mistake inanimate objects for people and/or animals, it may be time to get some more sleep.

3. You are dozing off in class...

Some classes are just a snooze. I know you can't help feeling bored, but sleeping during class is unproductive and quite rude. Many students sacrifice sleep for schoolwork, but not getting enough rest can actually be detrimental to your academic abilities when it starts to interfere with class. When you start actively referring to your least favorite class as "nap time," it may be time to get some more sleep.

4. ...and out of class

The same carries over for everything else, too. You shouldn't be so tired that mundane tasks become a struggle to stay awake for. When you find yourself face down over the bathroom sink because you dozed off while brushing your teeth in the morning, it may be time to get some more sleep.

5. Coffee has become your BFF

Ah, coffee. Everyone's favorite. Many people look to it or another energy-boosting drink as the pick-me-up they need to start the day. However, you shouldn't have to rely on any drink to keep you functioning. When you hear the barista say your favorite brew is sold out and feel an emotional breakdown coming on, it may be time to get some more sleep.

6. Your weekends begin around mid-afternoon

Weekends are a perfect time to catch up on sleep you may have missed in the week, but don't think you can spend a few extra hours under the covers and be fully recharged and restored. Sleeping in is nice, but how late is too late? When you find yourself rolling out of bed at 4 p.m. on a Sunday morning, it may be time to get some more sleep.

6. Dreams and reality are starting to blur

Did that really happen? Were you imagining it? How could it have been a dream when you haven't experienced a full REM cycle in what feels like weeks? When everything starts to feel like a haze you just can't shake off, it may be time to get some more sleep.

7. You are consumed by an overwhelming anger and desire to be sleeping instead

This is called crankiness, friends, and it's the product of being overtired. When you find thoughts of caffeine and destruction following you around like a dark cloud, it may be time to get some more sleep.