Here are some things that I don't think a lot of people know about writers:

Inspiration hits at the craziest times

I feel like a lot of people think that writers just sit down at a desk and write out their feelings. Like writers pick the times when they write, and they know what time of day is when they write the best. How many times will I say "write" in this article? I create better content at night from like 8 to 11 pm. I don't know why it's that time it just is. I put my earbuds in, block out the world for a little bit and write. I get the best inspiration during these times! Or if I'm out with friends or having a conversation with someone I think, "can I write an article or story about this?"

Deadlines are your greatest motivation

Deadlines make me work harder and faster. For school assignments I always try to work on stuff way ahead of time, so I know what's coming up but for writing and other Odyssey stuff that I work on I have to give myself deadlines even when there isn't one, so I can get stuff done. There's a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes with the president of Odyssey at OU that a lot of people don't know about. I do A LOT and I keep track of a lot of different things and I'm in constant communication with my writers and my editor in chief Allyson. Without creating these deadlines and putting a couple of hours out of my day to work on Odyssey, I would fail as a president. (Shout out to our community Instagram page @oklahoma.Odyssey)

Writer's block definitely exists

Yes, it actually exists. It's not just something someone makes up because they feel like it. Writer's block is like you're completely on track until you hit a brick wall. The only way to get out of this rut that you're in is to find something new or do new things and somehow be inspired again. But this process can take days, weeks or even months. I feel like ever since June I've been pushing myself to create and write better content. Like everything I wrote last semester was good, but I knew it could have been better.

You'll get burned out

It's easy to get the feeling of being burned out with writing. What if there's no originality left? What if every other great idea, plot, or story has already been written? Then what do you write about? Write about you. Write about stories that you know or experiences that you've had. You know you best and there's no one else that can write about that besides you!

You must write every day

You have to write every day. This is a must. By writing every day, I'm constantly improving with my style, grammar or just my storytelling abilities. I don't know if I would be able to write a book's worth of content but then I look at every single article that I've written for Odyssey the past two and a half years and I think that would be pretty book worthy. Also, many author's have to write and re-write paragraphs and chapters hundreds of times for it to be perfect. For example, as I'm writing this article I'm thinking of other stuff that I want to add and I have to go back and do that to get my point across. The writing process is a journey.

You must read every day

I'm pretty sure Steven King said this once in an interview or maybe it was in one of his books, but you have to read every day to become a better writer. It's honestly true. You would never really notice how you start to write and how your writing style changes until you read different author's books. That's what I love about writing, there's no one set way or a rulebook of how stories work or a certain way to write. There's so much freedom in it and you can do whatever you want, however you want.

You got to sell yourself

You are you. But you're also a brand. Your writing is your life. Why should someone else read your writing when there are thousands and millions of other things that someone could be reading? So why you? Create that audience for your work and make that network of people. This is something I've been working on since I'm the president of Odyssey at OU this is basically my job- networking and recruiting new writers. But I have a lot of fun doing this and it makes me feel complete and happy at the end of the day.