Why Miss Teen America Should Switch To Athletic Wear

Having a "fitspo" is better than having a "thinspo."

35

Over the past years, women have had a looming pressure due to social media to look thin. Constant covers have shown famous stars with their hip bones jutting out and their arms looking smaller than noodles. I'm alarmed at the fact that this was the definition of "beauty." But who can I blame? I too fell into the arms of the scary, absorbing world of thinness. Most women who modeled swimwear years ago starved themselves while working out. Although their bodies were toned, they arewerepurely skin and bones. In order to step away from pressuring young women into thinking "skinny equals pretty," Miss Teen America has taken a leap to pull young women away from starvation. It was announced that instead of having the teens compete by wearing bikinis, they have chosen to have the contestants sport athletic wear. Tabloids have started to put a focus on healthy living, and Miss Teen America taking this jump is the start to a healthier world.

Here are my top five Reasons why Miss Teen America switching to athletic wear will be a positive change.

1. The teens sitting at home who are watching will have a "fitspo" instead of a "thinspo."

When young teens are sitting at home staring at tiny girls in bikinis on TV, it is hard for them to realize that the pageant girls bodies are unnatural. I myself remember chewing on celery sticks and googling "thinspo" (which stands for a "thin inspiration") wishing I could look as pretty as the women on TV. Having athletic wear competitions will inspire women to look up workouts instead of the latter. It's something I wish I had.

2. Most girls don't know the power of having cute athletic wear. Seeing these teens in cute outfits will be an inspiration within itself.

Athletic wear is a whole other market. Many women find it it be the most comfortable and often the most flattering. So why not have 30+ FIT teens modeling it for girls like us back home?

3. It will reduce the sexualization of young teens.

When we choose to let young women prance around in next to nothing swimwear in order to win a prize, what are we saying? Having girls in athletic wear will teach them to embrace the way their body is clothed rather than if they were in bra's and panties.

4. It will reduce the number of eating disorders and food related complexes.

Many young girls, myself included, have body issues. We looked up to what was shown, which was skinny, hungry, "beautiful" women. I like to imagine that if I had been shown strong, fit women over the years, I would have turned out different. I believe this gives young girls the chance I could only have wished to have had.

5. It will increase self esteem.

When people are able to look at someone influential and see a part of themselves, it makes one feel on top of the world. With this new addition to the Miss Teen America pageant, young girls can look up and see a version of them that is or can be possible. I believe knowing that something is possible, is the best motivation of all.

This change in the Miss Teen America pageant may not be agreed upon by all, but it is heavily supported by me. I believe this should continue on to the Miss America and all other pageants too. We should always be encouraging women to look their best the healthy way in a world that seems to tear them down. Therefore I support you, Miss Teen America. Here's to you ladies and gents, now get your butts to the gym!

Living healthy,

Em