How Technology Is Ruining Television

How Technology Is Ruining Television

A decade can change everything.

12
How Technology Is Ruining Television
fandom

90210, One Tree Hill, Friends, Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Glee, Friday Night Lights, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, That 70s Show, Parenthood; all shows that dominated the early 2000s, and continue to be unparalleled to those that are produced nowadays.

These television shows centered around every day troubles, issues with mental health, drugs and alcohol, disability, high school drama, sports, adulthood, and overall, finding a place in the world. Characters would use their Razor flip phones and Sidekicks for communication, but never in excess. Gossip Girl focused more on living their elitist lifestyle through partying, shopping, and romance instead of the social media site that narrated their motives.

Gone are the days of shows like Full House and Gilmore Girls. Replaced are versions that, in turn, display all the negative attributes to which our society has transformed.

Full House, having piloted in 1987, put its attention on a family following the death of the mother, thus leaving three daughters to be raised by their father and his two friends. It was a show that used humor paired with the everyday drama of being a parent.

Two decades later, Fuller House displays all that is wrong with society. Children sit on their phones all day, never taking the time to play outside like their parents had done when they were younger. The adults spend their alone time at bars and clubs, getting drunk and dancing with strangers. A grown up Stephanie Tanner dresses much more provocatively now, never forgetting to mention all of her random hookups.

If you take the time to watch Full House and Fuller House back-to-back, notice how the lingo, slang, and humor have changed. Clothing, language, and lifestyle choices are no longer the same in society, and it has been further depicted through the use of television.

Gilmore Girls, starting in 2000, centered on a mother-daughter pair with a 16-year age difference. As the daughter attempts to pursue of a journalism career after attending Yale, it is the small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut that reminds the show’s viewers of the importance of friends and family. Amidst family relationships and extreme wit, struggles of class differences and judgement are continuous sources of drama throughout the plot.

One decade later, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life demonstrates the transformation that is apparent in culture today. The first scene opens with a couple taking a selfie in the middle of town. Luke’s Diner is full of “hipsters” that stay for extended periods of time solely for the use of his Wi-Fi. People use language that would never have even been considered appropriate in the early 2000s. Rory, the daughter, owns three phones and Lorelai, the mother, rarely leaves the house without her iPhone in its bright blue case. Lorelai’s mother added a television to her nicely furnished formal room, an act that she would have never even considered back in 2007.

Television shows no longer draw attention to the deep emotional struggles apparent everyday. Instead, everyone chooses to hide behind their iPhones and laptops.

I can't begin to imagine what television shows will be like in 2027.