To The Teacher Who Shows Blatant Favoritism

To The College Professor Who Shows Blatant Favoritism

As a teacher, you should be exhibiting equality and fairness in your classroom, so why aren't you?

1403

Dear lover of partiality,

A month before I graduated high school, I wrote an article that praised my former teachers for doing such a good job teaching me and treating me with kindness and compassion. Those teachers treated me with the same respect they treated my classmates and showed fairness in their classroom, making it a comfortable place for open discussions. If I miss anything about high school, it's that.

In that article, I wrote, "Teachers want you to be at school because they want you to pass and go on with your life. They want to see you walk across the stage and shake the principal's hand as you leave high school behind and begin your new life, whether it's college, the military, a trade, or the workforce. They scold us when we get in trouble, help us when we're in need, pray for us when we're in tough situations, and crack down hard on us because they want to see us succeed and make something of ourselves." It's a shame that I can't say that about you.

I came into your class ready to learn and begin the college life - I knew it wasn't going to be easy or fun, but I love a challenge, and you were quite the challenge.

I tried to get your help each time I had a question, but here's what you did: you walked to the other side of the room and stayed there for thirty minutes. Keep in mind that we only have a fifty-minute class, so you spent your time talking to this one student, who has no problem being an out and proud teacher's pet, more attention than the rest of the class. I don't know how my classmates felt about you, but I didn't like that. In fact, I hated that part about your class quite a bit because it was an ongoing thing.

Don't worry, I didn't put up with it for long because after seeing that you didn't respond to my countless emails about needing help and wanting to make appointments with you in your office, you never responded; the minute I sent you a nice-nasty email calling you out on your inability to respond and how I thought you were straight up ignoring my messages, you responded fairly quickly which I found funny and ironic. All this time I was wondering what I needed to do to get a little bit of your time and all it took was a strongly worded email. I met in your office, and you rushed through my session because you had to be at your other job, which you complained about all too much for my liking. I didn't get the full time like you gave the other student and as a result, I barely passed the essay. Thanks for that.

At the tail end of the semester, I was struggling with the argumentative essay, and as usual, your favorite student talked about how she texted you to see what you were doing and that went on for twenty minutes, cutting into time that I needed for assistance, but I guess that wasn't as important as you being a night owl and not a morning person. When you finally came to me, with five minutes left in class, all of the frustration from your crap and your favoritism came out, and I almost exploded on you and the other girl. I would say sorry, but I have nothing to apologize for.

I didn't risk a student's grade to bond with another and become besties. You did that. I didn't try and waste your time and rush out of a scheduled appointment. You did that. I didn't wonder why people complain about me. You did that.

You caused all of this, and to the students who take you in the future, I wish them the best of luck because you were (and are) single-handedly the worst college professor to walk this campus for freshman. Have an excellent semester, though!