Teacher Avoids Possible Homicides In Gun Demonstration Gone Wrong, Is Change Every Going To Happen

The gun control debate will rage on until we come to a consensus solution.

65
Instagram

A California Teacher, Dennis Alexander was recently the center of a huge controversy when he accidentally fired a gun during a presentation at Seaside High School. The incident left 3 kids injured with one alleged to have been injured by bullet fragments. According to a California Law that became legal in 2015, it’s illegal to carry a concealed firearm on a high school or college campus.

That raises a flag to me as to why this man was allowed to give this so-called "demonstration" in this classroom. In this climate of mass shooting and efforts to reform gun control, we are allowing people to demonstrate with guns in classrooms?

Recently, Donald Trump had suggested that we begin arming teachers in schools with guns as if that makes any type of sense. That kind of thinking makes me wonder if he knows what actually goes on in classrooms. We’ve all seen videos of teachers, security guards, and even law enforcement physically abuse students.

If a teacher doesn’t have the discipline to not put their hands on a student, what makes you think they wouldn’t pull out a gun on a student and even pull the trigger? Are we really this naive? Are we going to allow this kind of thinking when young people are becoming victims of gun violence every day?

We cannot forget about the students.

Students wouldn’t even be willing to go to school. Why would I show up to a class with a teacher that has a short temper and a weapon? If something happens, who’s to say I’ll be able to defend myself, I might not survive a confrontation. At that point, my education is being affected because I’m even more worried about my safety from my educator.

I think something else we should be aware of is the defensive tactics people would feel they would have to use. A kid could come to school with a gun thinking they need to protect themselves from everyone. It could be any weapon really, but now we risk turning places of learning and socializing to war zones.

It’s bad enough we have to deal with incidents like the one at Stoneman Douglas High School. Things like that shouldn’t even be possible. That’s why we are fighting harder than ever for gun control. This incident highlights the dangers of having such weapons around children let alone in schools.

The guy wasn’t even an actual cop, he was a reserve officer. He shouldn’t have been allowed on that campus. We cannot voluntarily allow people to have this kind of access to our youth. Society right now is on pins and needles because there are people out there that are abusing the right to firearms.

The boy that was allegedly hit with fragments wasn’t even given treatment. He went home with his injuries clearly visible. They didn’t even alert his parents. What is that?

First, we can’t come up with correct laws then we protect the people who violate them? That’s the type of shit that gets me mad, and the reason we’re in this jacked up position where we lack any type of common sense.

The gun control debate will rage on until we come to a consensus solution. I don’t think we should have guns on the streets. I understand what the second amendment says, but I also understand that too many people have been senselessly killed by gun violence. Something must be done. Steps must be taken for us to move forward. The accidental shooting at Seaside high school was the opposite of that.

If the goal is to have people feel a sense of security in their own country, something will get done. If there are other agendas at hand, agendas that are allegedly more important than the safety of our society, guns may be the least of our troubles in America.