I May Not Be A Teacher, But I Am The Daughter Of One

Teaching isn't just a job, it's a way of life.
279

I am also the niece of one, the granddaughter of both a high school teacher and a college professor, and for a long time even considered becoming one. So, needless to say, teaching is in my blood.

“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” - William Arthur Ward

There is this idea of teachers that many non-teachers have and that is this picture of when a teacher goes home, their mind goes back to their ‘normal life’ and they lose the emotional attachment they have during the day as if they’re simply playing a role.

The reality is far from the idea. I grew up the daughter of a teacher and I know this is false.

For many teachers teaching isn't just a job, but something they love to do. It's a way of life.

As a child, I can remember the countless times my mother brought her work home with her; whether it was grading papers, writing lesson plans, or cutting out laminate— which I often helped her with. It extended far beyond the classroom and I could always tell how much she loved her students.

I am so proud to be the daughter of a teacher.

Teaching was once considered to be a noble career and now it has become one that is stigmatized and thought of as a "backup plan".

While the majority of a teacher's job is to teach, they also learn things from their students as well and strive to make the best possible impacts on them as they can. Getting rid of teachers or shunning people for wanting to or becoming one is not the answer.

Teachers are not thugs, they work just as hard as anyone else (maybe a bit harder sometimes).

Education makes us thrive as a society and with a lack of it, we become ignorant.

Yes, teachers may not make all that much, but they aren't in it for the money. Teachers are in it to make a difference. They don't just teach, but they inspire.

People who can do that make great teachers. Without teachers, whether it be those in my family or ones I had in school, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I wouldn't be pursuing the career path I am, without their guidance and support.

A teacher won't back down without fighting. They not only teach students about their specific subject, but they are able to teach them about life and prepare them for success.

They not only work the eight hours school is in session, but bring their work home with them.

They love children. What are we telling those children if we don't value the people that teach them? They don't matter? That they aren't important? Children are the future, they are worth the time and investment.

I may not be a teacher, but I am the daughter of one.