Yes, I Want to Teach Kindergarten, And No, I Don't Need Your Criticism

Thanks for your concern, but this is what's right for me.

59

Everyone has an idea of what they want to be when they grow up, as they are growing up. That wasn't me.

However, this is the job for me —and, I want to know when I stopped being an expert on what is, or is not, right for me.

I am tired of the weird, disapproving looks when I tell people that I want to be a teacher. Believe it or not, you are not the first person to inform me that they make no money. I did observations in a class that was out of school for almost two weeks because so many teachers in the state went on strike. I am well aware of the financial situation that goes along with teaching, but I strongly believe that money is not the only reason to go into a profession. If you think that you can live the rest of your life doing a job that does not interest you, just for the paycheck, then more power to you, but I want a job that means something not only to me, but to others.

Now that we have cleared the money discussion, this next part is for anyone who thinks that I should not be a teacher because they do not like kids. If you do not want to spend hours on end with kids, then don't! But that does not mean that I should not.

I like working with kids, I have done it for multiple summer jobs, I have close to 70 hours of experience in various classrooms, I know what I am getting myself into. I did already know that they are needy, sometimes gross, and obviously immature. I am also aware that they are cute, sweet, and excited. So, no, I do not need you to tell me all about how you could only teach high school if you were a teacher. You can take the sassy, know-it-all, bored teenagers. I will be with kids who are excited for school and eager to learn.

And for my last, and favorite, argument against being a teacher, no, I am not just going to be teaching the alphabet. Kindergarten still has standards and expectations that need reached, there is still a lot of work to be done. I will not sit in a classroom and teach my students the ABCs day in and day out. It is not, in fact, so easy that just anyone could do it.

I know my career choice is not the most luxurious and calm, I know that it is going to be a handful and it is going to be stressful. But I also know that it is right for me, and the only person that gets to decide that is me. So thank you for your input, and your "concern", but you can take it elsewhere, I have lessons to plan.