Taylor Swift Encourages Young People To Vote

Following her lengthy post on Instagram on Oct. 8, Taylor Swift used her acceptance speech at the American Music Awards to emphasize the importance of making your way to the polls this Election Day.

After Swift's speech, there was an influx in voter registration nationwide. Swift's home state, Tennessee, saw the highest increase in voter registration. Aside from her encouragement to register, Swift also voiced her own political opinions, something she has been reluctant to do in the past.

In her Instagram post, Swift encourages her followers to educate themselves on their state's candidates and their values before voting. Aside from her encouragement to register, Swift voiced her own political opinions, which she has been reluctant to do in the past. She showed her support for two Democratic candidates in Tennessee, Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives.

College students, millennials and other young people often find themselves 'too busy' to vote. I'll admit, I thought registering to vote seemed difficult and too much of a hassle. Through www.vote.org, I requested my absentee ballot in a matter of minutes. After registering or requesting an absentee ballot, make sure you take the time to go to the polls or mail your ballot on time.

Voting is more important than ever in this midterm election, especially for young people. We are a diverse group of individuals with strong opinions that can impact our political climate. Celebrities and influential figures are emphasizing the importance of the upcoming election. Comedian Billy Eichner called on young people in America to get out and vote, stating "the biggest election in our lifetime is happening."

What are the midterm elections? Midterm elections occur during the halfway point of a presidency. Every two years, the House of Representatives and some members of the Senate are up for election. Currently, the house majority is Republican. This could all change on Nov. 6. There are 35 seats up for election in the Senate and all 435 seats up in the House of Representatives.
Before you vote, I encourage you to research the candidates up for election in your state. Vote for the candidates that reflect your values the most. Consider your beliefs on LGBTQ+ rights, gun control, environmental issues, equality, education and problems in your community.

For many states, the last day to register was Oct. 9. However, it's not too late for everyone! In some states, you can register up until Election Day. Here's a list of states where you can still register to vote:

Alabama: 10/22

California: 10/22

Colorado: 11/6

Connecticut: 10/30

Washington D.C.: 11/6

Delaware: 10/13

Hawaii: 11/6

Idaho: 11/6

Illinois: 11/6

Iowa: 11/6

Kansas: 10/16

Maine: 11/6

Maryland: 10/16

Massachusetts: 10/17

Minnesota: 11/6

Montana: 11/6

Nebraska: 10/26

Nevada: 10/18

New Hampshire: 11/6

New Jersey: 10/16

New York: 10/12

North Carolina: 10/12

North Dakota: No date, just bring ID.

Oklahoma: 10/12

Oregon: 10/16

South Carolina: 10/17

South Dakota: 10/22

Utah: 10/30

Vermont: 11/6

Virginia: 10/15

Washington: 10/29

West Virginia: 10/16

Wisconsin: 11/6

Wyoming: 11/6

Dates retrieved from Vote.org