I Want A Tattoo Even Though It Will Affect My Job Prospects
Beauty Fashion

I want a tattoo even though it will affect my job prospects

Your body is a canvas and no canvas should be left blank.

97
https://unsplash.com/photos/FHixf0ZSO2Q
Unsplash

Around 45 million people in the United States have tattoos, and the tradition dates back to around 5,200 years ago. While tattoos have changed a lot, and the tradition is a bit more regulated now, we still seem to have trouble accepting tattoos at a societal level.

For thousands of years, individuals have been getting tattoos to show their status, personal expression and even for therapeutic purposes. It was discovered that Egyptian women may have gotten tattoos while they were pregnant to help them through the process of birth.

So, if tattoos have been around for thousands of years, why is it that we have so much trouble accepting people who have them today? If you have visible tattoos, you are less likely to be hired. From a survey taken of 327 employers by Workopolis, 13.85% of employers stated that they would be less likely to hire someone with tattoos. The survey also found that around 22% of people will take someone with a tattoo less seriously. One common thread from all those interviewed was that they were okay with tattoos as long as they did not promote hate or racism, which absolutely makes sense.

However, let's say you have a small wrist tattoo of a flower. Guess what? You are less likely to be hired because other people can see it. To me, that seems a bit ridiculous.

Since high school, I have bounced back and forth between wanting to get a tattoo and being too afraid of how it will affect my future.

There is only one profession out there that will encourage you to get tattoos, and that is being a tattoo artist. In fact, if you were a tattoo artist with no tattoos, that would be a bit of a red flag to your clients.

Office jobs and renowned companies will always be hesitant when it comes to hiring people with visible tattoos. Even if you are more qualified than other applicants, there is nothing against the law with employers turning you away because of your ink.

However, I believe that if you truly want to get a tattoo and there is no doubt in your mind (even if you are in a profession in which tattoos may not be as readily accepted as others), then you should book that appointment ASAP.

When it comes to thinking about getting a tattoo, planning out where to put it and how big it should be, there are some common recommendations to keep in mind. Usually, the first time you get a tattoo, you should stay small. Everyone has different allergies and reactions to substances or materials, and you don't want to discover that you're allergic to the tattoo ink after getting a massive tattoo somewhere on your body.

Another point: for your first tattoo, don't do something that will be extremely difficult to cover up. Go for something that can be concealed by your clothing with little to no effort. If you only plan on getting one tattoo on your wrist, this may not be something you'd consider. But by "testing out" the tattoo lifestyle, by learning how to properly care for your tattoo with something that won't be constantly on display, you will make things easier on yourself.

I have wanted a tattoo for many years now, but haven't got one due to my wavering decisions on what to actually get. After all, one you have a tattoo, it's on there forever. (Also, my mom isn't a big fan of tattoos and I love her too much.)

What I'm fairly certain I'm going to do in the coming years is start the tattoo I want, as I only plan on having one or two, and not in highly visible locations. Since I was young, I have loved reading books like "Spiderwick" and "A Series of Unfortunate Events." "Spiderwick" has a lot of pictures throughout the story, and many of these pictures are known as "field guides." If you are unfamiliar with these, it's basically a handwritten journal page that contains notes, drawings and measurements for anything from magical creatures to herbology to maps. I think it would be very cool to have a field guide page filled with things that I am most interested in tattooed on my back.

They're something a bit like the picture above but with more creatures and notes added.

If you want a tattoo, I encourage you to get one. Just bear in mind your profession and their acceptance on the topic and plan accordingly. Tattoo removal is expensive and painful, so you don't want to end up having to go through that process just to earn money.

Don't let anyone judge you for "ruining your body," because that's just not what getting a tattoo does. Embrace your tattoo and wear it with pride.