Tangles: Poems About Hair

Tangles: Poems About Hair

She took my hair with her
40

Braids

Your fingers scrape through my hair

collecting untamed strands.

Pulling, ripping out, and pulling again.

Long strawberry hair missing from the root.

Your fingers unravelling tangles.

Sit still. I don’t want to have to start over again.

There is no gentle. There is only

one slick braid running down my spine.

Hair Thief

When I was six my best friend cut my hair.

I don’t know where we got the scissors

or why we thought it was a good idea.

I was too scared to cut her hair

so I pretended.

She cut an “M” in my bangs

because her name started with an M.

She hid a fist full of my hair behind her back

as my mom’s footsteps lingered down the hall

shoving it into her pocket when my mom walked in.

I’ve always found it odd that she left with my hair.

Curling

My sister curled my eyelashes

before Christmas pictures.

I was hoping for a little help

with blush and mascara.

It’ll look way better this way.

Just keep your eye open

I agreed

keeping my eyes open wide as

her plastic Mary Kay curler

clamped down on my hair.

The first eye was fine.

The second eye I blinked.

Then Screamed.

What’s wrong?

You’re just being dramatic.

Wait there is blood on the curler.

I think I cut your eyelid.

I don’t curl my eyelashes anymore.

Cover Image Credit: http://boldbarber.com/hair-cutting-techniques/

How To Look Put Together When You're Secretly Falling Apart

It's hard to try to look good when you've just dragged yourself out of bed, but you can manage.
174

Look. Life is hard, I get it. Sometimes you manage about two and a half hours of sleep in one night, and you absolutely are not feeling it, but you still want to look like you’ve managed to get your life together enough to put forth some effort. It’s really easier than you’d expect, and with just fifteen extra minutes in the morning, you too can look put together while you’re falling apart!

As a professional Lazy Girl(TM), I’ve managed to perfect the art of looking decent in as little time as possible. Sometimes, it requires a little extra effort at night, but I don’t really plan on getting much (if any) sleep at night, anyway! (A note: this advice doesn’t apply to morning showerers, because you people confuse and frighten me.)

You’re gonna wanna take a shower an hour or so before you go to bed, and if shaving is your thing? Go for it. It’ll make your life easier in the morning, because wearing a dress is easier than picking out to matching articles of clothing, and you lose no mobility or freedom if you throw some compression shorts on with it!

If you’re absolutely entirely opposed to wearing a dress, pick your clothes out at night. People say this all the time, but it genuinely cuts about five to ten minutes off your morning routine, especially if you’re as indecisive as I can be. If not, find a casual dress and throw that sucker on in the morning. The less accessorizing required, the better, and you look effortlessly put-together.

I know hair can be a struggle for some people, so this can throw you off. However, I don’t have that struggle, thank God, so my go-to for hair is a half-up ponytail with a scrunchy. If you can’t do that, I know you have a quick’n’easy hairstyle tucked away somewhere in your head. Make use of that knowledge!

Whether or not you wear makeup, of course, is entirely up to you, but if you do, it’s great to have an easy makeup routine. Three, maybe four steps, tops. I’m a fan of Too Faced Born This Way concealer for my dark circles and redness, a shadow from the Morphe 35OM palette for my brows, ELF liquid liner, and Essence mascara. This can take as little as ten minutes, and it’s easily the most time-consuming step of my morning routine.

All of this is relative. Take that into consideration-- what takes me ten minutes may take you three or four, and my skincare routine of soap and water might be more extensive for you. Regardless, this has, over the years, turned out to be the simplest (and most effective) morning routine I’ve ever had, and I sincerely, deeply hope this advice can help my fellow lazy girls out there become Lazy Girls(TM) while still maintaining an air of "I actually tried today." Now, go forth and be lazy!