Tangles: Poems About Hair

Tangles: Poems About Hair

She took my hair with her
45

Braids

Your fingers scrape through my hair

collecting untamed strands.

Pulling, ripping out, and pulling again.

Long strawberry hair missing from the root.

Your fingers unravelling tangles.

Sit still. I don’t want to have to start over again.

There is no gentle. There is only

one slick braid running down my spine.

Hair Thief

When I was six my best friend cut my hair.

I don’t know where we got the scissors

or why we thought it was a good idea.

I was too scared to cut her hair

so I pretended.

She cut an “M” in my bangs

because her name started with an M.

She hid a fist full of my hair behind her back

as my mom’s footsteps lingered down the hall

shoving it into her pocket when my mom walked in.

I’ve always found it odd that she left with my hair.

Curling

My sister curled my eyelashes

before Christmas pictures.

I was hoping for a little help

with blush and mascara.

It’ll look way better this way.

Just keep your eye open

I agreed

keeping my eyes open wide as

her plastic Mary Kay curler

clamped down on my hair.

The first eye was fine.

The second eye I blinked.

Then Screamed.

What’s wrong?

You’re just being dramatic.

Wait there is blood on the curler.

I think I cut your eyelid.

I don’t curl my eyelashes anymore.

Cover Image Credit: http://boldbarber.com/hair-cutting-techniques/

20 Small Tattoos With Big Meanings

Tattoos with meaning you can't deny.
806393

It's tough to find perfect tattoos with meaning. You probably want something permanent on your body to mean something deeply, but how do you choose a tattoo that will still be significant in 5, 10, 15, or 50 years? Over time, tattoos have lost much of their stigma and many people consider them a form of art, but it's still possible to get a tattoo you regret. So here are 20 tattoos where you can't go wrong. Here are 20 small tattoos with big meanings. (But don't blame me if you still have to deal with questions that everyone with a tattoo is tired of hearing!).

SEE RELATED: "Please Stop Asking What My Tattoos Mean"

1. A semi-colon indicates a pause in a sentence but does not end. Sometimes it seems like you may have stopped, but you choose to continue on.

2. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

3. Top symbol: unclosed delta symbol which represents open to change. Bottom symbol: strategy.

4. "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."

5. Viking symbol meaning "create your own reality."

6.Greek symbol of Inguz: where there's a will, there's a way.

7. Psalm 18:33 "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights."

8. 'Ohm' tattoo that represents 4 different states of consciousness and a world of illusion: waking (jagrat), dreaming (swapna), deep sleep (sushupti), transcendental state (turiya) and world of illusion (maya)

9. Alchemy: symbolizes copper, means love, balance, feminine beauty and artistic creativity.

10. The Greek word “Meraki” means to do something with soul, passion, love and creativity or to put yourself in to whatever you do.

11. Malin (Skövde, Sweden) – you have to face setbacks to be able to go forward.

12. Symbol meaning "thief" from the Hobbit. It was the rune Gandalf etched into Bilbo's door so the dwarves could find his house.

13. “Lux in tenebris” means “light in darkness.”

14. Anchor Tattoo: symbolizing strength & stability, something (or someone) who holds you in place, and provides you the strength to hold on no matter how rough things get.

15."Ad Maiora” is translated literally as “Towards greater things.” It is a formula of greeting used to wish more success in life, career or love.

16. A glyphs means “explore.” It was meant as a reminder for me to never stop exploring.

17. "Aut inveniam viam aut faciam," meaning roughly, "Either I shall find a way, or I will make one."

18. Lotus Flower. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower’s first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment.

19. The zen (or ensō) circle to me represents enlightenment, the universe & the strength we all have inside of us.

20. Two meanings. The moon affirms life. It looks as if it is constantly changing. Can reminds us of the inconsistency of life. It is also symbolizes the continuous circular nature of time and even karma.

SEE ALSO: Sorry That You're Offended, But I Won't Apologize For My Tattoos