Why Sex Education Needs to Happen

Why Sex Education Needs to Happen

Seriously though, the lack of sexual education in this the US is a disgrace

49
Why Sex Education Needs to Happen

According to the Guttmacher Institute, in 2011 there were about 553,000 teen (ages 15-19) pregnancies in America. That’s 52.4 pregnancies for ever 1,000 girl within this age group. Even though the percentage of teen pregnancies are in the decline America still has more teen pregnancies than any other developed nation.

The Guttmacher Institute also reports that New Mexico, Mississippi, and Arkansas are the three states with the highest teen pregnancy rate in 2011. Why is that you ask? Statics has shown that poverty breeds teen pregnancies, no pun intended. New Mexico’s, in 2011, poverty rate was at 20.4, the highest of any other state. Even today their unemployment rate is the third worst in the nation, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Not to mention that The Huffington Post reports even though New Mexico does require sexual education in public schools the information does not have to be medically accurate.

The Huffington Post also reports that Mississippi, which had the second highest teen pregnancy rate in 2011, does not require sex ed in public school and what information is offered does not have to be medically accurate. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 2011 the Magnolia State had a higher rate of unemployment than New Mexico.

Arkansas, with the third highest teen pregnancy rate in 2011, also, does not have to offer a sex ed curriculum and what is offered does not have to medically accurate, and if it is provided abstinence must be mentioned but contraception do not. Arkansas like, New Mexico and Mississippi had a high unemployment rate in 2011.

Seeing a trend?

While poverty does play a part in teen pregnancies the real threat is the lack of education on the topic. Not to mention that, with a good effort, improving comprehensive sex ed would bring positive results faster than boosting their economies.

It is also worth mentioning that Arkansas and Mississippi historically cote conservatively. The republican party’s stance on sex ed is, and has been for quite some time, abstinence. That abstinence is the only way to decrease teen pregnancy and the spread of STDs. They remain unmoved by high teen pregnancy rates and a ream of statistics and report that stat that an abstinence only education does nothing to deter teen pregnancy.

In contrast, the states with the lowest teen pregnancy rates are New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Vermont. All of these state historically vote liberally and a comprehensive sex ed is required in Minnesota and Vermont. In Vermont condoms, birth control and other forms of contraception must be taught along with information about STDs and HIV/AIDS. Minnesota is very much the same except that information on contraceptives not required.

That being said 89% of parents in Minnesota believe that an all inclusive sex ed program is the only way to go. Also in New Hampshire while sexual education is not required in public schools, if school boards choose to mention abstinence they must also go over contraceptives.

States like Arkansas and Mississippi need to wake up from this dream that an abstinence education works. You can’t teach teenagers not to have sex and not to get abortions and be surprised when teen pregnancies happen. No matter how much money the pure into this crusade it wont work.

This is because while it is true that abstinence is the best way to avoid unplanned pregnancies and STDs, because no condom can guarantee it wont break or birth control promise that other medications won't mess with its effectiveness, studies show that teaching an abstinence only education does nothing to teen pregnancy statistics. While communities that do teach teens about viable forms of contraceptives, like birth control and condoms, have fewer unplanned pregnancies. Teaching, even promoting, abstinence is fine but only teaching abstinence is a problem.

Unfortunately no matter how many laws are made mandating a comprehensive sexual education they will not effect private schools that revive no funding from the state government. More specifically, religious schools.

Of course in today’s modern times sex ed is about so much more than the act itself. Nowadays teens need to know about the fluidity of sexual orientation spectrum. Even if it does not apply to them, they need to understand the world they live in. Also by teaching teens not to have sex is teaching them to be ignorant to possible future partners that may want sex. In theory a couple would have a conversation about having sex before hand but let’s not be naive and admit that it doesn’t always happen that way. Or in that order.

Teens need to be taught about how to identify sexual predators, abusive relationships, and how to respect their partners. Teens need to be taught what date-rape drugs are and how to avoid them. They need to be aware of their open drink at parties.

They need to know what kinds of situations may lead to sex so they can decide whether or not they want that. And if they do, what kind of protection they can use. Men and women need to know that they have to ask if the other wants sex, and that it’s within their rights to say no.

Sure, working to create a society where rape doesn’t happen as prevalently as it does now is a great thing to strive for but that’s never going to happen if sex isn’t addressed, or even acknowledged.The youth of today need to know it’s ok to ask questions about sex, they don’t have to be ashamed.

Pregnant teens everywhere are told that they are responsible for their actions when it come to teen pregnancies. But whose responsibility was it to teach them?

Before they can understand the sanctity of the life of an unborn child, they need to understand the sanctity of their life.