Taking Offense In The Modern World

Taking Offense In The Modern World

My response to disagreeing with a Professor's lecture.

7
Taking Offense In The Modern World
Barry Carter

Recently I attended a lecture for a class and I completely disagreed with what my professor said on a theological and moral level. Not only did I have issues with the things he said, but with the tone and way he delivered his lecture. It was offensive to me and to the community I ascribe to. Without going into overt detail, he basically stated that the American military enjoys bombing the Middle East as proxies of the corporations that run our country. He proclaimed that the United States, by electing Donald Trump, had declared war on Islam and we have turned our backs on progress and our commitment to the world. As a United States soldier, I took high offense to this, those who have not walked in our boots should not pass judgment upon this nation. Yet, I responded maturely, and hopefully, this article can act as a medium of expression for myself and maybe help someone else with a similar issue.

Let me make this clear, I am not some great understanding Buddha who can tolerate all ideas and handle everything with grace and dignity. I am often hot-headed and jump down peoples’ throats. I have made several people cry during debates with me. It is not something I am particularly proud of. I love to debate because I love to learn. I just want to learn how to debate in a more formal and inclusive manner while till respecting my own passions and morals.

Our current generation is often labeled as “soft” or “whiny cry-babies” who take offense to everyone and everything. While I do agree that sometimes people need to toughen up and take constructive criticism, it is equally important to fight for what you believe in. If you remain silent out of fear of being labeled a whiner or if you do not feel confident in your ability to voice your opinion, you run the risk of something like this happening again.

Let me state that it is okay to be offended, it shows that you are passionate and take an interest in political issues or an interest in your country. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than a Neutral Nancy, (looking at you Switzerland), people need to take sides, yet remain open to learning. This is college, the purpose is to expand your knowledge and foster thought patterns contrary to your own. However, this does not mean you need to compromise on ideas and morals contrary to your own. We are who we are because of our ideas and morals. They guide us and provide structure to our lives, we often find that in times of great adversity they show us who we are as humans.

During the lecture I mentioned above, I disagreed with my professor who I hold deep respect and admiration for. In fact, he inspired me to declare a minor in his field simply due to his passion and energy for what he teaches. As he went on I grew more offended and wanted to speak my mind, yet this was his class. He was the expert in his field and I was the student. I wanted to allow him to finish his thoughts before I interrupted him with my own. I showed him respect in his differing beliefs because that would mean he would respect mine. After he concluded time ran out, preventing me from offering a rebuttal which is not ideal but it is what it is. Had there been more time I would have asked questions to better verify his positions while displaying mine.

Reflecting on the lecture perhaps I jumped to conclusions. My professor and I have a great relationship, I know he isn’t anti-American or against troops. He is just a human who is shaped by his environment and those around him. He developed differently than I did and thus we can teach each other and learn from one another. I recommend using email for students who are not as comfortable in direct interaction for whatever reason.

This is why I am here, to learn and grow as a human and scholar. I must remind myself not to simply dismiss ideas that I do not like or understand at first, it is going to be a goal of mine throughout my college career.