We live in a world that is constantly telling us to "go!" We are expected to be busy from the moment we wake up, to the moment our head hits the pillow at night. Time spent being unproductive is seen as wasteful and lazy. The pressure to be busy pushes us to work harder and longer, to take on more responsibilities and push ourselves to the limit. In many ways this mentality pushes us to be better people. It teaches us how to manage time, prioritize, take responsibility for our actions and pursue achievements in areas that interest us. This mentality teaches us a strong work ethic, helps us to work smarter and gives us the opportunity to improve our skills and compete with ourselves. For all the good that being busy does for us though, it can hurt us too.

In a world that it is always going, it is difficult to stop and find time to simply be. Action forces us to focus on the task at hand, which can blind us to other things that are going on around us. In a busy environment, there is not much time to think. Without free time to let our minds wander, our mental health, creativity and problem solving can suffer. Always being pushed to one's limits can lead to exhaustion. Not having time to think about the impractical can lead to boredom and frustrations. Being unable to think about topic, concepts and problems that do not directly affect one's life can lead to stagnation and apathy.

The option to turn our busy mode off and save time for relaxation is crucial to living a healthy life in an environment that is happy and aware. Although being busy may seem like the most direct way to improve our own lives and communities, taking time to chill, breath and maybe observe our feelings and the world around us can help make our world a better place in a huge way. Removing ourselves from goals and quantitative measurements can help us see our world a little more clearly, and can bring new perspectives when we do get back to work.