Take Time Aside For Your Mental Health: The Perfect Lazy Day

There is no better feeling than going to sleep and knowing you don't have alarms set for the next morning.

116
Anthony Tran

As humans, we have responsibilities. Of course, living up to our responsibilities, reaching our full potential, and crushing deadlines is hard work. I'm sure you wish you had a break, in fact, you think you deserve one. As college students, balancing social lives, classes, and our health almost seems impossible. However, there is one aspect that we often overlook: mental health.

On the rare occasions that we do have days off, we often spend them in ways that will benefit our social lives and classes. For example, if on your last day off you slept in until 1 PM, caught up on some homework, hit the gym, and then went out with friends, you spent your day in a way that benefited your social lives and course loads! However, if you're finding yourself getting overwhelmed in the hustle and bustle of life, exhausted, and constantly playing catch-up with life, you may be in need of a mental health day.

Before beginning the perfect lazy day, let's backtrack to the night before: the lights are dim in your room as your head hits the pillow. You peek at your phone- it's 11:00 P.M. There is no better feeling than going to sleep and knowing you don't have alarms set for the next morning.

The morning of your perfect lazy day:

First, you wake up (whenever that happens to be) to the sound of rain and wind. It's necessary for the weather to be semi-crummy in order for you to not feel guilty about doing absolutely nothing that doesn't benefit your mental health on this day. Due to the crummy weather, you get up to light your favorite candle, put on your favorite pair of fuzzy socks, and hop back into bed.

Now, this is where the game changer occurs: instead of picking up your phone to scroll through social media and check your emails and texts, do something that you enjoy. For instance, reading a good book, drinking a cup of tea and reflecting on your (non-existent) schedule for the day, or laying in bed with your eyes closed trying to fall back asleep. The way that you start your day often sets the mood for the way that you will feel the rest of the day. Since today is about your mental health, avoid any and all buzzkills and stressors until you've set a positive tone.

The afternoon of your perfect lazy day:

After you've found inspiration and set a positive tone for your day, you move onto another important step: remembering that this day is about you. This means your focus should be on yourself, consequently meaning you most likely will not have too much human interaction today. That's the goal! Remaining in your cozy room just having you time will be beneficial. Find simple things that bring you joy: rent the latest movie, paint your own nails, or take a warm bath! Don't forget to indulge in a meal that you don't have to feel bad about- now is the perfect time to try out some new recipes you've been wanting to taste! Whatever you do, set your own pace for the day and don't let outside influences determine your schedule or actions.

The evening of your perfect lazy day:

At this point, although you've done absolutely nothing today, you'll probably be feeling rather productive. That's right! Sometimes it is essential to throw away the concept of crossing tangible deadlines, meetings, and assignments off of your to-do list and focus on the invisible necessities instead.You're feeling refreshed and relaxed, although the stress of tomorrow will hit you as soon as your head hits the pillow after setting your alarms. Just look forward to your next mental health day! Remember, you deserve it.