take it on back to your roots
Politics

take it on back to your roots

People never see why some people always go back to their roots when all else fails.

4
take it on back to your roots

Many people live this life trying to get ahead of everyone else. They spend countless hours working, sleeping and trying to distance themselves from their past life of how they were raised or was brought up.

Being a small town boy growing up in southeastern Ky, I can relate to how people experience this. Growing up hunting, fishing, and pretty much working from a young age, I always felt like there was more for me that the world could offer outside of the mountains I grew up in. As I grew older I witnessed more and more people leave the mountain area in search of a better life until one day I was standing in their shoes.

After I graduated high school, I set my sights on those city lights, hoping to make it big with money and the life I wanted, well at least i thought that I wanted.

Four years have passed now and when I woke up just the other day, I didn't recognize the man who was standing across from me in the mirror. I had become someone who had rejected all the things that I was raised on and become someone who didn't want anything to do with family or friends. Even my ideals I had for myself was not of my own choice or design, but constructed off the lives of a socially established world where your voice ain't heard and no one cares if you succeed or fail.

I was driving down an ole back road just yesterday to visit my family, the family that taught me the values of life, hard work, and to never abandon your dreams no matter how big or far away they may seem. A song came across that old country station that has been around before I could even walk. It reminded me of how people always come home to their roots, they settle down and begin the life they always wanted. I'm proud to say i'm finally coming home.