Take It From Me, Kids

Take It From Me, Kids

Here's what high school is like from a recently-grad's perspective.

491
Take It From Me, Kids
Your Orlando Reality

So you’re an incoming freshman freaking out about the first day. Don’t worry, I was once there four years ago. But I’m here to tell you: It isn’t as bad as you think it is. I mean, there are some bad parts of high school, but for the most part, high school is a pretty great place. It’s not like the situations you see on TV. You don’t have the one school bully, the three popular girls and cliques. So don’t walk into high school worrying about trying to fit in and being popular, because by your senior year, you’re not going to care about any of that as much as you do now. All that’s going to matter is your diploma.

High school is an experience you have to make your own. Enjoy the experience, because whether you’re ready or not, it’ll be over in a blink of an eye! Your freshman year is the year that’s going to pave your next three years of high school.

For me, personally, I took my freshman year as a joke. I played around in my classes. I was literally the class clown, and I made myself “dumber” to fit in with everyone else. Don’t follow in my footsteps. Go the different route. Be the person that volunteers to read first. If you know the answer to a question, don’t be shy say it! It’s OK to be a “geek” or “nerd” in high school because in four years your GPA will be beautiful. You will be able to earn scholarship money, and your bedroom wall will be decorated with all types of different academic awards, medals and plaques.

Don’t forget about all the different types of clubs and extracurricular activities! You shouldn’t limit your whole high school career to strictly the academics; you need to actually enjoy your high school years too. There are so many different things to do in high school other than the norm. For instance, don't go straight to school, and then go straight home. You have options such as theater class, choir, band, JROTC, cheerleading, football, basketball, etc.

You get the point. But like I said earlier, high school is an experience that you have to make your own, and some of these organizations, clubs and sports are ways to introduce you to something you may come to love, then may possibly become your career one day. In high school, there’s something for everyone, so if you don’t feel like you fit in with one group, don’t give up. Just keep looking. That perfect fit is just around the corner!

On the topic of having friends in high school, my personal preference is quality over quantity. I’d rather have three or four close friends over 100 friends that just want to manipulate and use me. In high school, you’ll learn that not everyone has your best interest at heart, but also you’ll learn that there are people who truly love you and will do anything for you. I’m not telling you to not have any friends in high school at all, but chose your friends wisely. The same friends that you walked into high school with will more than likely not be the same ones that you cry with and take pictures with at graduation.

Things and people change, but with time comes knowledge. Transitioning from middle school to high school, I was that “lots of friends” type of guy, but by my senior year, only one person that I walked into high school with me freshman year was still my best friend. We still talk and have great times together even after high school has ended.

Sophomore and junior year goes by in the blink of an eye. You’re going to be

asking yourself, “Senior year? Is that you?” The leaders, the role models and underclassmen looking up to you, wanting to be just like you. You can’t believe you made it to this point in your life. You decided what college you wanted to go to your junior year, still undecided on your major though. You’ve taken your senior portraits over the summer, ordered and paid for your cap and gown. Before you know it, the first semester is over and it’s already Christmas Break. School starts back and you’re ready for the second semester to be over.

Around mid-February, you start to develop “senioritis.” You get in the mindset that you’re a guaranteed graduate, so you start being late for school, stop turning in assignments, and your grades starting to slip, because at this point you’re thinking, “I don’t care. I’m about to graduate.”

Sooner than you know, prom approaches, then shortly after that graduation. A month after prom, your big day is finally here. GRADUATION! It’s your day, and nobody can take it away from you. You finally did it. All your hard work and shenanigans pay off. You’re finally done with high school. You’ve finally passed the test of will power. Congratulations.