Why You Should Delete Social Media

If You're Looking To Make 2020 The Best Year Yet, Delete Your Social Media Before It Starts

It's worth it, trust me.

362

Social media has taken over our lives. It has changed the way we communicate, how we form and maintained friendships, and helped us bridge the gap in our relationships. Even so, social media does come with many downsides. If you have noticed yourself scrolling through people's posts and looking through memes extensively, you'll have realized how dependent we have become on social media to entertain us.

Start by evaluating your screen time

How long do you think you spend on your phone per day? An hour? Two? Seven? Try setting up a screen time tracker on our phone (you can set this up in your settings on Apple devices or through a third-party app on all Android devices). Is the number shocking? Even though it may not seem like you spend a large portion of your day on your phone, it is evident that Americans spend an average of almost FOUR HOURS on their mobile devices a day.

Now, let's take a step back. You may be thinking, "that's not that bad." This screen time DOES NOT include time spent on laptops, televisions, and other electronic devices. Sure social media and the internet make your day come alive, but are you really living if most of your day is spent in front of your screen rather than face-to-face with the people you love.

This is the AVERAGE screen time, meaning that people may be spending far more time on their devices than simply four hours a day, and even if you spend four hours on your phone, if you're awake for sixteen hours, one-fourth of your day is spent in front of your phone. ONE-FOURTH. Set up your screen time, the number will surprise you.

Think about what you could do with that precious time

Do you always feel like you're super overwhelmed and don't have time to finish all your homework, work, exercise, and get in that special eight-hours of sleep? You may have a hectic lifestyle, but averting some of your time away from the phone may help you feel less overwhelmed.

Spend some time with your family and friends. Study for that exam. Eliminating or significantly reducing your phone use may help you make time for doing the things you truly love, like reading a book or going on a walk with your parents.

Take the step and delete social media, at least until January 2nd 2020

It's only a few days from now, but take that big step! Send some last memes, like some last posts, remember your passwords, and delete the apps off your phone. Do not try to log in again! Scrolling through these pictures is not a necessity. Have your friends text you if anything important happens, and you won't miss a thing.

Take a moment to reflect 

Now with social media deleted, how often are you picking up your phone to checking Instagram and Facebook? Are you unconsciously trying to log into the apps via your browser or catching yourself trying to reinstall Twitter? This really shows how conditioned we are to using social media.

You can do it!

Try your best to stay social media free until after the new year. Who knows? Maybe you'll enjoy it so much that you don't want to install the apps again!