Tackling Parent and Teen Talks About Addiction
Health Wellness

The teenage years are challenging for both adolescents and their parents. During this time in their lives, young people are going through many social, psychological, and physical changes.

26

It is the time between childhood and adulthood — a time to learn more about themselves and to explore.

Some of the pressures facing teens are:

• Academic performance
  • Social issues
  • Peer pressure
  • Fears about their future
  • Wanting to show their independence

Unfortunately, teens are at a high risk of turning to drugs for reasons such as:

• Bullying
  • Low self-esteem
  • Poor school performance
  • Hanging out with social groups that use drugs
  • Lack of understanding of the risks involved
  • Easy access to drugs and alcohol

Experimenting with drugs or alcohol too often leads to substance abuse and addiction. The statistics are staggering and concerning.

• Approximately 5 million American teens suffer from alcohol or substance abuse.
  • Teens who experiment with alcohol at age 13 have a 43% chance of becoming an alcoholic
  • Almost half of the American students in high school know who in their school sells drugs

There is a reason that teenagers will often act impulsively, have an emotional outburst, make irrational decisions, or be unable to understand the long-term consequences of their behavior.

Part of that reason is because of the stresses and pressures they are under at this point in their lives.

The other is that their brains are not fully developed and won't be until around the age of 25.

The connections between the emotional part of a teenager's brain and the decision-making center are still developing.

Therefore, it is vital that parents be able to communicate openly and honestly with their teenage children about the risks associated with substance use and abuse.

The Link Between Prescription Pain Medication and Heroin

Addictions vary in severity based on what type of substance is being abused. All addictions are destructive and potentially life-threatening.

However, Opioid addiction has become a public health epidemic. This addiction is often predicated by the use of prescription drugs for pain relief.

Teenagers get prescription meds from their family and friends. Some share them with their peers. Others start when a doctor has prescribed them after an injury or dental procedure.

If a teen becomes addicted to prescribed Opioids, it is easier for them to get their hands on Heroin than prescription medication. It is cheaper and easier to obtain. It is also deadly!

Almost half of the young people who become addicted to heroin start by using and then abusing prescription pain medication.

Breaking Through the Barrier and Asking for Help

The first step towards recovery is the recognition that you have a problem. Hiding an addiction from your parents, friends, and relatives is akin to living two lives.

One is the person you present to parents and family. The other is the "you" that is shared with close friends who know about your usage and addiction.

It is not easy to admit you need help and takes a tremendous amount of courage. If you are addicted to an illegal substance, the challenge becomes even greater as you are also breaking the law.

Telling your parents about your addiction is not easy, but it is your first step towards recovery.

Below are a few suggestions and things to keep in mind to make it easier to ask for help.

Know That They Love You

Even if you think your parents are clueless and don't know much, recognize the fact that they have lived many more years than you have and experienced life in ways you might not know.

Also understand that no matter what you have done or the mistakes you have made, they love you. Their primary concern is what is best for you and your safety is their top priority.

Don't Be Afraid

Your parents are your safe haven. Friends come and go. However, your parents will always be your parents.

If you have an addiction, your parents probably have already noticed a change in your behavior and know that something is wrong.

Their unconditional love for you will take precedence over any disappointment or anger they might feel.

Allow them to express their emotions and share yours with them. You will both be scared and angry.

Communicate openly with your parents so you can mutually find a way out of your addiction.

Accept Responsibility

Rather than blame others for your behavior, it is essential to take responsibility. Even if there are familial situations that led to your taking the wrong path, ultimately the choices you made were yours.

Keep in mind the reason you are opening up to your parents. It is because you want to get better.

Timing is Everything

Your first conversation with your parents about your addiction will be a difficult one. Set aside some time when there will be no outside distractions.

Prepare them by telling them you have something very important to discuss with them so that they will be able to give you their undivided attention.

How to Recognize Drug Use or Abuse as a Parent

Proactive, open communication with teenage children is imperative to help them understand the potential long-term consequences of using or experimenting with drugs and alcohol.

If they are already using, it's not too late to start this difficult conversation.

Teenagers are often moody. However, significant changes in behavior that last more than two weeks usually indicate that something else is going on. It could be depression, anxiety, or substance use.

Millions of teenagers try drugs or alcohol at least once every year. Many of them won't become addicted, get caught, or experience a life-threatening event.

However, too many of them will, and therefore, parents need to have this often difficult but vital discussion.

How Parents Can Prevent Their Teen from Becoming a Statistic

Talking to a teenage child is difficult in general. They are dealing with many pressures, want to be independent, and are preparing for their life as an adult.

It's easier for parents who have always had a close relationship with their children. However, it's never too late to start. Your teen's life could depend upon it.

Below are a few suggestions on how parents can tackle this sensitive subject with their teenage children.

Don't Lecture

Children, in general, don't like to be told what to do. Teenagers will turn a deaf ear to lectures. Rather than talk to them, talk with them.

Parents should allow input from their children in the conversation. They should also encourage it. Make the conversation a two-way communication channel.

Don't Use Scare Tactics

Instead of trying to scare teenagers into not using drugs, present the facts. Talk about the different types of substances out there.

Ask them if they know anyone who has experimented with or is currently using drugs or alcohol. Encourage them to share their opinions and ask any questions they might have.

The Right Time and Place

Trying to talk to a teen when they are heading out the door is not the optimal time to have a conversation. Instead, choose a more relaxing time, such as before they get into bed or after school.

Some parents find that talking to their children while taking a walk or during a drive works well. This is because, without eye contact, teens are less likely to feel like they are under a microscope.

Be Prepared

When parents are successful at starting an honest discussion, they need to be prepared to answer some difficult questions.

For example, teens will often ask their parents if they tried drugs or alcohol when they were younger.

It's vital to be honest, even though there is a real possibility of being called a hypocrite. Explaining the reasons behind decisions made and including any negative consequences experienced can help teens understand the risks.

It is imperative that addicted teens be honest with themselves and their parents about their serious problem.

The courage needed to get cured of addiction will occur when the teen realizes how precious life is and when they work with those who love them to get better.