I Asked Students About Relationship Advice & This Is What I Got

Coming from the biggest booty call school in the nation

382

As cuffing season is quickly approaching it seems like everyone is talking about how much they love or hate the entire concept of relationships. As I got talking to students around campus, I started asking what the best relationship advice they would give for a healthy and successful relationship.

Personally, I was actually surprised by the answered I received, and maybe Syracuse is more than just a booty call school after all.

Keep in mind these answers come from all genders, relationship status', religion, and sexuality.

1. "Be honest about everything. It's not worth the cover-ups and lies, as with everything honesty is the best policy." 

2. "Most strong relationships don't evolve from a hookup (NOT A RULE, just an observation from my personal life). I like fooling around as much as the next person, but it's definitely a lot less complicated if you didn't meet the person through a drunken hookup." 

3. "Be understanding and don't try to make them fit your mold of a perfect partner because everyone is human and will make mistakes. Placing expectations on someone is unrealistic and will always leave you unhappy. Love someone for who they are, not who you wish they were."

4. "Respect each other and learn to admit when you're wrong. Say you're sorry and never go to bed angry. Say I love you every time you leave or hang up the phone."

5. "Keep your distance while still being together sometimes."

6. "Have a relationship with Jesus. This makes all the difference in the world. Without him, I wouldn't be with my fiance. Jesus is the glue that holds us together, and he gives me strength every day to avoid impatience." 

7. "Communicate and don't be afraid to show your true feelings. Trust is key." 

8. "Be open minded and patient. Love may be a feeling, but it's also a choice. It is so important to be willing to accept your partners flaws and adapt to them. If you truly love each other, you work though the difficult circumstances." 

9. Communication. You have to communicate your feelings at all times. If you don't then things get complicated and you and your partner will become unhappy, especially in a long distance relationship which tends to happen a lot when people go to college. Always be open and communicate!"

10. "Communication and trust."

11. "Be honest with each other."

12. "One piece of advice someone gave me was 'you should remember the first and last time someone hurts you. After that there shouldn't be any more to remember.' I think there's more to it, but it's somethings that has alwasy stuck with me."

13. "It's all about trust and compromise. If you don't have trust, nor can compromise and understand and respect your differences; that will elad you to have issues." 

14. "Communication, mutual effort and same intentions." 

15. "Make sure you aren't the only one putting effort in the relationship. Both people in the relationship should be putting in the same amount of effort to keep each other happy." 

16. "Trust is everything!"

17. "Communication, it's the key to trust."

18. "I am a really anxious person and I have difficulty trusting others. I find that I often will look for and create problems that do not even exist to protect myself from getting hurt. This only resulted in more unnecessary fighting and stress. I learned that in order to have a healthy relationship, we need to allow ourselves to be emotionally vulnerable. Trust your gut, but do not go searching for what is not there out of fear."

19. "It isn't about what you receive. Keep giving. That's what unconditional love is. I'm not saying never break up with someone, just don't let your partner's actions or feeling for the day affect how you love them that day."