In 1951, Sylvia Plath wrote "Mad Girl's Love Song," a poem about a girl who is absolutely in love... A little bit too much in love.
In the poem, the narrator is head over heels for her lover. She's kind of obsessed. Throughout the whole poem, she speaks about a lover who has never returned to her. The text implies that her love has lost interest, but she just doesn't get that.
I was absolutely fascinated with this poem when I first read it. I was inspired to make a playlist I think the narrator would have based off of Plath's poem.
Here is a "mad girl's" playlist:
1. "In A Manner of Speaking" by Nouvelle Vague
This song describes the intense emotions you may feel during a relationship, but you just can't find the words for it.
2. "Strangelove" by Depeche Mode
This song is about a toxic relationship in which someone keeps hurting their partner, but their partner does not mind.
3. "Unforgettable" by Nat and Natalie Cole
Sometimes when you meet someone, they are simply unforgettable.
4. "Only You (And You Alone)" by The Platters
This song speaks for itself.
5. "Cosmic Love" by Florence + The Machine
When your lover leaves you, it is painful.
6. "Sweet But Psycho" by Ava Max
As the narrator in the poem, this song is sweet but a little bit psycho.
7. "What You Won't Do For Love" by Bobby Caldwell
There is not much that the narrator wouldn't do for love.
8. "Tear In My Heart" by twenty one pilots
Love is a big tear in the heart many times.
9. "Crazy For You" by Madonna
Madonna's Crazy For You is Plath's poem in a nutshell.
10. "Baby Come Back" by Player
She just wants her lover to come back.