Syllabus Week is Over, How Do We Survive?

Trying to make college a little less difficult for those of us who attempt to balance the deadly three: social life, sleep, and good grades.

107
Pixnio

The first all-nighters are being pulled, the coffee is coming out at later hours, and sickness is everywhere...

For some of us, the first one or two weeks of college involved more social events than academic ones. Now that the glorious time known sylly week has come to an end, it is time to get serious about those due dates. The famed struggle between sleep, a social life, and good grades is a very real one, but how do you maintain a healthy, fun college life?

There are two sides to the 'college life.' Some will say that it is the last time you can party all night and sleep all day. Others will claim that this is the beginning of your life; a time to buckle down and get serious. There is a strong amount of students who would prefer the latter. The main key to trying to succeed both socially and academically (and I know you've heard this before from your advisors) is time management! There a few ways that make time management easy.

1. Planners: a college student's best friend

A lot of people get really excited about planners. Embrace that. A planner is a perfect way to make sure you don't forget to do that Flipit Physics that was due at 8 a.m. the first day of class or that chemistry O.W.L. that was due at 8 p.m. on a game day. Before you allow yourself to go out make sure that all of the homework assignments are done and check off that to do list. If you want to be extra, go ahead and write down your frat parties and bar nights. It'll make it easier to schedule those team homework meetings (shout out to Calculus) and group projects without missing the nights of your life.

2. Pick your battles, and by battles I mean parties

A key to not getting too overwhelmed in the college party life is knowing when to and when not to go out. Especially as a freshman, it is tempting to take advantage of the new freedom of not having to sneak out anymore. Yes, you can finally leave at midnight and come home at 4 a.m. on a school night and no one (maybe your roommate) will yell at you! With this new freedom comes the burden of figuring out when you should or shouldn't go out. It may be the biggest party of the year, but if you've got that killer final the next day, delete Snapchat, find a study room, and focus.

3. Academic Advisors: the college student's therapist

Majority of college students are either undecided or think they know what they're doing until they try it and hate it. In these moments of desperation, we are all looking for someone to tell us what to do. Academic advisors are literally hired for this reason. Even though it may be a hassle to make an appointment, the extra five minutes of searching for an available time slot is definitely worth it. You can unload all of your stress and questions on these people, and they'll give you informed answers. Whether it be time management, schedule changing, or personal issues, your academic advisor is here for you.