10 Things I've Learned My Freshman Year Of College That Every Incoming Freshman Needs To Know

College is hard, but you will survive and makes some pretty great memories.

191
mtmirrorview.com

College is one of the biggest transitions in a person's life. Almost everything you've known in your life changes. You're away from your home, often your hometown, your friends, your family... everything. School becomes even harder. You are meeting all sorts of people that you may have never met before college.

You're going to make mistakes. Accept that up front. You're gonna lose sleep and have breakdowns, but you're also going to have a lot of fun. I've learned a few things I think every incoming first-year student should know. Deep breathes, you've got this!

1. Nourish your body and never feel guilty for it.

Your body needs food to survive and thrive. Never restrict as a punishment or overeat as a stress reliever. A half pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream won't make you obese just as one apple won't make you healthy. Learn to balance treats and healthy food.

But always feed yourself properly no matter how bad you feel. When you're hungry eat, and when you're craving it's probably your body begging for something it needs.

2. Sleep enough

Getting enough sleep is the key to a happy and healthy life. Learn to listen to your body. Take a 10-minute power nap, it will refresh you more than you know. Don't stay up all night studying. It will not make you any smarter, just tired and less satisfied. Your body cannot function properly without sleep.

Sleeping is when your body catches up with all its physiological needs and when you rob it of that it will lose the cognition, focus and motivation you need to achieve your goals. On the other hand, don't let clocking in your 7-8 hours rob you from making memories. Pulling one or two late nights won't kill you.

3. Feed your mind.

It wants to learn. Take school work seriously because even the seemingly pointless will teach you something. Also, realize that only learning in the classroom robs your mind of amazing potential. Read books on subjects that interest you, go to museums, ask questions, especially the dumb ones, but understand there aren't always answers. Go to speakers, and fill your mind with new ideas and perspectives. Immerse yourself in different cultures, this is where you'll learn the most.

4. Your feelings are valid so allow them to be.

Sometimes life is hard. You're going through one of the biggest transitions of your life. Know you don't have to have everything figured out. And this 'not knowing' will give you anxiety. Because you like to have easy answers. So, this process is going to make you feel all sorts of emotions. If you're sad that's okay, but know you can only watch the entire series of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. so many times before you need to shower, leave your stuffy dorm room, and do something fun with friends.

If you're angry that's okay. There's so much you want to do and so much everyone thinks your college experience should entail; you are bound to get frustrated when things don't go your way or when people seem to think they know what's best for you, but know anger won't help you. Let it take its course and let the storm pass, but then come back down to earth and let peace be your name.

It's okay to be jealous. Sometimes you're going to want what other people have. Great friendships, cute clothes, nice body, great boyfriend, great grades, but envy will always leave you unsatisfied. When you start to feel jealous, reflect on what it is you really want. Do you want their grades or do you want to work harder in schoolwork? Do you want their friendships or do you want to foster better ones for yourself? Realize what you want and go get it.

It's okay to be happy. The world is going to convince you that it's not. It will say it's selfish to be so happy when there's war, and violence and injustice, but you have every right to be happy anyway. If those around you are sad support them, but don't feel you have to suffer with them.

Smile at strangers, and laugh in the library if you think of something funny, and dance around your room singing into your hairbrush because you deserve happiness. You deserve to bloom, but remember not everyone around you will be happy with or for you and that's just as valid as your joy. Remember your feelings are valid no matter what anyone tells you.

5. Don't be afraid to look stupid.

Yeah, you're 18-19, but build blanket forts and dance around your room like a crazy person. Read Harry Potter over and over and over while dressed like Hermione. Make a snowman and go sledding. Do whatever brings you Joy and keeps your soul smiling.

Stop caring if you look stupid or childish for it. You know what's childish? Caring what everyone thinks and pretending to be someone you're not. SO: build the fort, get rainbow sprinkles on your ice cream and stop caring what anyone thinks about it.

6. Make memories.

Turn that phone off and leave it at home. Go build memories with the people you care about. You have no idea how long they'll be around. Nothing is guaranteed. Go do something crazy and rebellious and something you'll remember.

And don't put it on Snapchat or Instagram or whatever. You, be there in the moment. Be present with the people around you. And make stories to tell for years to come. This life is made for living.

7. Listen to podcasts.

They will engage your mind. They distract the negative thoughts of fear, anxiety and self-insults. They support the positive thoughts of "I can" and "I will." Start embedding them in your habits. I started listening to them during the times that anxiety and racing thoughts tend to cloud my mind and prevent me from getting from point A to point B.

Feed your mind new ideas. It wants to grow. And never let your anxiety take over you. Teach it who is boss.

8. Take some time just because you need it.

Meditate every day. Read scripture every day. Workout when you're stressed or sluggish. Stretch when your muscles ache. Watch a show. Read a chapter in your beloved book collection. Light some candles. Take a bath. Dance around your room. Call your grandparents. Have a coffee with a friend. Put on a face mask. Write a blog post. Just take some time.

Block out time for what you want to do and be one with the fact you will have to make time when you need it. Your body and soul know what they need. Stop depriving them because you're "supposed to be doing ..." The paper will get done. The workout will happen. The project will get finished. Stop forcing yourself on a set schedule. Schedule and schedule well, but understand you will have to take time to do what you need when the time comes. It will all work out.

9. Stay in touch.

Call your grandparents once a week because it makes them really happy and your time with them is limited. Call your parents… they miss you. Text. Instagram. Snapchat. Facebook. As much as you would like to throw your phone out the window, delete social media and forget the world. Don’t.

Keep it limited and know when to walk away, but come back because people miss you. They like to hear from you. Also, there are so many people you love. Your heart is so full so make it easier to stay in touch with people. Make it less of a burden to stay connected.

10. PRAY. PRAY. PRAY.

Never let your faith be shaken, never forget where your heart and future lies. Your Father will guide you, His Son will carry you and His Spirit will fill you. Let their love build you and form you.

Spread the Gospel in your actions. Spread the love. Do the good. Be the light. Love matters. There is no anxiety or day or event prayer can’t comfort in time. Before you call today the worst ever. Stop. Pray. Watch the day transform.