How To Write About The 2020 Election

How To Write About The 2020 Election

If you're a first-time voter or voting by mail for the first time, we want to hear your story.

20
How To Write About The 2020 Election

The general election on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, will decide not only the next president of the United States but also which political party controls the House of Representatives and the Senate. Young and first-time voters will play a crucial part in determining the result.

SURVEY: Which issues are the most important to you in the 2020 election?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, "among 18 to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump."

At Odyssey, we want to amplify the voices of young and first-time voters. Writing about politics can be tricky, so to make things easier, we've come up with four general prompts to follow — no need to focus on your own political opinions or who you're voting for (or voting against) if you don't want to!

Create Now I'm A First-Time Voter In [State], Here's What The Process Was Like

Create Now I Voted By Mail For The First Time In [State], Here's What You Need To Know

Create Now I Am [Identity Group] And I'm Voting In 2020 Because [Issue]

Create Now I Interviewed A Volunteer On [Candidate]'s Campaign And [Reaction]

Vote Smart's mission is to provide free, factual, unbiased information on candidates and elected officials to ALL Americans. Every candidate and elected official from the president to the state-level can be easily and instantly accessed for your own research through our Voter's Self-Defense System: voting records, biographical information, issue positions, interest group ratings, public statements, and campaign finances, all available on VoteSmart.org